• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Redesign

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:25 AM

Hi

I designed a website (more like an application) which allows users to create custom fantasy football cheat sheets using drag and drop. Although I am in a very saturated market (SEO-wise), my application is very unique and I know of no other sites that offer what mine does. My home page and all other pages on my site are currently geared toward fantasy football. However, in the next few months I'll begin supporting multiple sports (fantasy football, fantasy racing, fantasy baseball, etc). So I'm trying to account for all of the SEO factors that I should consider when re-configuring my content.

To account for multiple sports, I plan on creating different directories on my site with each of those branches targetting a particular sport. So insead of targeting 'fantasy football cheat sheets' on my home page, I'll move that page under my '/football' directory, etc. Each sport would have its own directory with all pages utitlizing SEO targeting that sport. This is pretty straight-forward.

The next issue is it how to re-configure my home page content (i.e. which keywords to target). My thinking was that instead of targeting 'custom fantasy football cheat sheets' on my home page, I should instead just target 'custom fantasy cheat sheets'. The problem is that there aren't many people searching for that generic term (i.e. searches of that type almost always include a sport as a keyword).

Another delimma is what to do about all of the external fantasy football-related sites that currently link to my home page. Should I ask these webmasters to re-configure their links to point to my eventual, internal 'fantasy fooball'-related landing page? And if so, who is going to link to my home page since there aren't many sites out there who don't target a particular sport?

Any guidance would be appreciated...

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

The next issue is it how to re-configure my home page content (i.e. which keywords to target). My thinking was that instead of targeting 'custom fantasy football cheat sheets' on my home page, I should instead just target 'custom fantasy cheat sheets'. The problem is that there aren't many people searching for that generic term (i.e. searches of that type almost always include a sport as a keyword).

The home page should be geared to the general phrases that describe what the site is all about.

In this case, phrases such as 'custom fantasy football cheat sheets,' 'custom fantasy baseball cheat sheets,' 'custom fantasy hockey cheat sheets' etc.

#3 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 11 2010, 09:24 AM) View Post
The home page should be geared to the general phrases that describe what the site is all about.

In this case, phrases such as 'custom fantasy football cheat sheets,' 'custom fantasy baseball cheat sheets,' 'custom fantasy hockey cheat sheets' etc.

Thanks Jill.

If I target this main keyphrases on the home page, do you see any need to create landing pages within each sub-directory which target the specific sports?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(pinch @ Oct 12 2010, 10:08 AM) View Post
Thanks Jill.

If I target this main keyphrases on the home page, do you see any need to create landing pages within each sub-directory which target the specific sports?

Yes. You'll be wanting to direct people to the right sport category, no?

#5 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 12 2010, 09:48 AM) View Post
Yes. You'll be wanting to direct people to the right sport category, no?

Yes that's right. My site is really more of an online tool, but I will have different categories for each sport. So it sounds like I'll have landing pages which target each individual sport, whereas my home page will mention all of the different sports and link to each one accordingly.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

That's pretty much how I would do it I think. Seems like it would be the most intuitive way.

#7 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 12 2010, 11:30 AM) View Post
That's pretty much how I would do it I think. Seems like it would be the most intuitive way.

Taking that into consideration, would it be worthwhile to contacting the sites who link to my home page and ask them to instead target my landing page which will be specific to fantasy football?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

I would think so, but some still going to the main page won't hurt either.

#9 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 13 2010, 08:10 AM) View Post
I would think so, but some still going to the main page won't hurt either.

Another question: If I'm going to target multiple sports on my home page, how could I possibly fit them all into my title?

My current title is:

"Custom Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets & Player Rankings"

Even squeezing one more sport into the title will probably make it too long. However, if I take all of the sports out of the title:

"Custom Fantasy Cheat Sheets & Player Rankings"

then I'm back to my original approach of making the home page target the generic term "Fantasy Cheat Sheets", which again no one searches for.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

11-13 words seems to work well for titles. I'm sure you can do something with that if you're creative.

#11 Ewergreen

Ewergreen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

I searched for and found this topic before starting my own, but since I feel there's enough difference between the two (and it didn't answer my questions), I decided to start my own here. Unfortunately, I got referred to this topic and mine was locked.

I understand that for this thread it is logical to put all different topics on the homepage since they are still related. My two are however far from related: programming and mountaineering. It would be nice to know if I should follow the exact same approach as above or not. Problem is that I can't think of a good title tag, meta tags, ... for this kind of page. Any help would be appreciated.

Additionally, I was flirting with the idea to run the "technicalstuff" from my mydomain.xx and maybe place a link in the main nav there to mountainstuff. Not sure if this is a better option than the above, but it would atleast limit the amount of very-much-non-related-content on one page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!