• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Keywords Vs Company Name

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johntullyf

johntullyf

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Hi Jill and forum members!

I have a client who is about to embark on a site revamp. I've emphasized the importance of incorporating the correct keywords on the site, in product pages etc. When I use Google Analytics to get a sense of what keywords are currently being used to find the site I'm surprised to see the actual company name (and variations of it) in 19 out of the top 20 keywords (25 out of the top 30).

What does this mean? Is the company name really that important - we're not talking Apple or MicroSoft here, just a small engineering company? Is it related to the current lack of keywords that people aren't finding the site even if they are typing in exact keyword matches?

Any comments / advice would be helpful,
Regards,
John Tully

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

Hi John,

It means that they've done a good job of branding their site, but haven't really done any SEO yet. You don't want to lose those branded referrals as they're likely going to always be your best converters. But you do want to optimize them for the people who don't already know this company exists but are looking for the types of services they offer.

Hope this helps!

#3 johntullyf

johntullyf

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 7 2010, 01:07 PM) View Post
But you do want to optimize them for the people who don't already know this company exists but are looking for the types of services they offer.

Jill - not sure what you mean here. Optimize the branded referrals? (How would you do such a thing?)
Or do you mean optimize the web pages to better reflect the product-related keywords that the we all assume that they "should" be searching for.

You'll have to believe me when I tell you that they did NOTHING to brand their site! Its just the way it turned out, almost by default!!

John

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

Or do you mean optimize the web pages to better reflect the product-related keywords that the we all assume that they "should" be searching for.

Bingo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!