• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Suddenly Ignores My Noodp Meta Tag

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

For several years now I have been using
CODE
<meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOYDIR,NOODP">
and it has worked correctly.

Today I noticed that a Google search for my company name "totheweb" resulted in the SERP showing "ToTheWeb LLC" as the result for my homepage at totheweb.com but my title tag reads "Generate Sales Leads: Optimize Your Website And Get More Prospects from Search Engines!".

"ToTheWeb LLC" is shown in my Open Directory listing. I added the meta tag to stop Google from using that in the SERP. And it has been working for years. As of today it is not working.

Of course Google is still supporting the NOODP meta tag, and that tag is still present in the head of my homepage HTML file, I have not changed it.

Bing and Yahoo are giving the correct SERP for my company name.

Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Thanks.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

I've seen them defaulting to the company name in the Title if it's not there when the search query is for the company name.

It isn't dependent upon the DMOZ/ODP title or description, but something else completely.

Another instance of Google 'knowing' what's best for the searcher I guess.

#3 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

Any thoughts on how we can influence the results to be the way it used to be 'for years'?

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

If what Jill has written is correct, adding your company name to the title tag would fix it. For what it's worth, I've got my company name all the way at the end of my home page's title (it gets cut off before that point on a SERP), and I haven't seen them replace the tag's contents with my ODP listing since I added the noodp.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

I don't know is this the reason why, but you do have "ToTheWeb LLC" in your page's footer/copyright statement. That is the only user-visible text on the page that matches your domain name. An alt= text snippet seems to be ignored.

Perhaps adding "ToTheWeb" without the LLC in user-visible text above the footer or before the copyright notice will resolve the problem. I can't promise you anything -- this is just one of those times where you sort of toss stuff at the wall and see what sticks -- I mean, a little testing might be prudent.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

If what Jill has written is correct, adding your company name to the title tag would fix it.

Exactly. I think that would solve it.

#7 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

Thanks Michael. As a test, I am first going to add my company name at the end of the title tag text and see if that has an effect (currently my company name is not in the title tag).

If after a few weeks that has no effect I will consider adding my company name higher up in the on page text.

I'll let you know what happens!

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Oct 4 2010, 07:19 PM) View Post
I don't know is this the reason why, but you do have "ToTheWeb LLC" in your page's footer/copyright statement. That is the only user-visible text on the page that matches your domain name. An alt= text snippet seems to be ignored.

Perhaps adding "ToTheWeb" without the LLC in user-visible text above the footer or before the copyright notice will resolve the problem. I can't promise you anything -- this is just one of those times where you sort of toss stuff at the wall and see what sticks -- I mean, a little testing might be prudent.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

Definitely let us know! I have a feeling you'll see results quickly. Assuming your NOODP tag is truly put in there correctly.

#9 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

We've taken Jill's advice and added the company name to the Title tag and will check it every few days to see if there is a change.

Thanks!

#10 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

Jill - You're amazing!!

Our normal Title tag has now been restored. Thanks for the great advice.

Rosemary

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

Great!

I don't think that was anything amazing by me, just common sense in looking at what was happening, but thank you!

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

As per the previous posts in this thread, you'll want to make sure to include the company name in your Title tag, ideally, first. It's likely that Google is only showing their company name title tag which they generated for you, just for searches on your company name, and not for keyword searches.

#13 dekyto

dekyto

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 8 2010, 12:19 PM) View Post
As per the previous posts in this thread, you'll want to make sure to include the company name in your Title tag, ideally, first. It's likely that Google is only showing their company name title tag which they generated for you, just for searches on your company name, and not for keyword searches.

In reading through this post I think that I am having a similar situation.
For years we have ranked at the top for 'Christmas Wreaths' the site is www.artificialchristmaswreaths.com

The title tag has been displayed as long as I can remember:
<title>BEAUTIFUL CHRISTMAS WREATHS by Artificial Christmas Wreaths.com</title>

Within the past week Google, Yahoo!, and Bing have stopped showing the title tag and are showing:
Google : Artificial Christmas Wreaths
Yahoo!: Artificial Wreaths
Bing: Artificial Wreaths

As we are heading into our season I am a little worried that even though we have good placement the boring listings may hurt us.
Especially on Bing where they display:
"Christmas Wreaths - Gorgeous Christmas Wreaths from Christmas Forest Wreaths" directly below our listing.

Any thoughts on how to get the title to display. The company name, domain name, product(s) and keyword phrase are all the same.
Our ISP changed our site over to a new server about 6 weeks ago, I doubt it, but could that have anything to do with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

dekyto are you sure yours isn't the dmoz title?

#15 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

I don't see a DMOZ listing, but they are in the Yahoo Directory:

ArtificialChristmasWreaths.com
Features Christmas, Hanukkah, interfaith, holiday, and seasonal wreaths. Also carries ornament collections.
www.artificialchristmaswreaths.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!