• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Add Content To Old Site Or Start New Site?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mee

mee

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:02 AM

I am sure many of you have gone through this situation

when you want to diversify a bit from the main theme of your site and add new content which is related but not exactly the same so should you get a new domain/site for that or should you just keep on adding it to existing site

e.g. if you have a site about jokes in general and want to add blond jokes section ? keep in mind that manyblondjokes.com is much easier to rank/SEO as compared to sillyjokes.com/blond.htm

so one big site or many small ones is the question ?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Same site for sure.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

Definitely. Building up more content for the established site is the way to go.

#4 mee

mee

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 26 2010, 09:47 AM) View Post
Definitely. Building up more content for the established site is the way to go.

and what to do about the problem that blondjokes.org is much easier to rank as compared to sillyjokes.com/blond.htm ?

It is very hard to build links for internal pages and no the links don't come 'naturally'

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(mee @ Sep 27 2010, 10:24 PM) View Post
and what to do about the problem that blondjokes.org is much easier to rank as compared to sillyjokes.com/blond.htm ?
Why is it??

QUOTE(mee @ Sep 27 2010, 10:24 PM) View Post
It is very hard to build links for internal pages and no the links don't come 'naturally'
That's only because you don't actually understand what link building REALLY about!!!

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

Domain name is irrelevant to the search engines. They're only looking at URLs so where in the URL the keywords are placed doesn't seem to matter. Even so, keywords-in-URL is only one of 200+ factors. Some other factors can be leveraged for greater value (such as repeating keywords on a page, repeating keywords in inbound anchor text, obtaining a lot of PageRank from unrelated sites, etc.).

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:53 AM

Domain name is irrelevant to the search engines.

I wouldn't say that.

Sadly, exact match domains still seem to trump a lot of other things many times.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 28 2010, 03:53 AM) View Post
I wouldn't say that.

Sadly, exact match domains still seem to trump a lot of other things many times.

I have yet to see where an exact-match domain name matters as much to the search engine as it does to the people who are only using exact-match domain names. We all face the same difficulty in figuring out why one site outranks another: it's impossible to isolate just one of 200+ factors in the algorithm. So when you pick an exact-match domain and promote that with link anchor text and on-page copy that uses the keywords, yeah, I can see how it seems like the exact-match domain matters. But that is only a seemly thing.

I have found plenty of queries where exact-match domains get trumped by oddball sites with completely unrelated domain names.

If anyone wants to suggest a few queries, I would be interested in seeing them (feel free to PM me).

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

yeah, I can see how it seems like the exact-match domain matters. But that is only a seemly thing.

Yes, that's what I used to think and say too.

But the more you look at it, the more you'll see that it's just not true. It is beyond SEEM in many cases.

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 28 2010, 11:52 AM) View Post
Yes, that's what I used to think and say too.

But the more you look at it, the more you'll see that it's just not true. It is beyond SEEM in many cases.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this point, if only because I don't feel enough data has been captured and shared through all the anecdotes I've followed. I can always change my mind later. smile.gif

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a website/page that ranks ONLY because of key words in the hostname.

That is the words don't appear on the page in any way. Not the title, page content or in anchor text on & off the site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.