• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Have Some Doubts On How Search Engines Treat Geo-targeted Subdomains

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gagan

gagan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:58 AM

Hello , I'm working on multi-national site and need your advice regarding geo-targeting.

I've a domain example.com (english) and we wanted to target China, Since we can't get a .cn domain due to Chinese rules, we've created a sub-domain cn.example.com and translated all the English text into Chinese.

Now I'm thinking of Geo-targeting this sub-domain for China Region , But I want to know that will the rest of my website which is in English , will completely disappear from Google Cn ( Now Google hongkong) SERP ? and only sub-domain will be shown in China region.

Please let me know what you think

Regards
Gagan

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

It sounds like the way you want to do it is correct. I believe you can also tell Google via your Webmaster Tools account that you are targeting just the subdomain to China.

#3 gagan

gagan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hi Jill , Thanks for the reply. But Can you tell me how search engines will treat the rest of domain in China.

As According to me , In china few people ( mainly expats in china) search using English keywords of our service And the Sub-domain will be only in Chinese.

SO what should I do - Add more pages to Sub-domain in English ? Because sub-domain will be geo-targated for China like this-

cn.domain.com/english-page-1 ( geo-targeted for China)

or I can optimize the pages from my main domain too -

domain.com/english-page-1-for china ( not geotargeted,global)

Infact , we are ranking for english keywords in Google.com.hk for our English keywords without any optimization , so can geo-targeting effect those rankings too ?

Please let me know which strategy you think will work better.

Thanks in advance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!