• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Anchor Text

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mee

mee

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:55 AM

If you have a business named e.g. 'jojo' offering service e.g. 'online news' than what should be the preferable anchor text while building backlinks

1) jojo - online news
2) online news
3) jojo (with the word online news in the description)

what is your recommendation ?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

Yes, any or all of the above, plus others that are also relevant.

#3 mee

mee

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

you are right that all should be utilized but which one should be on our 1st priority ?

like, if you had the option to avail 100 links among three of the above than with which percentage will you do the distribution ?

Thanks

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

you are right that all should be utilized but which one should be on our 1st priority ?

All of them. Plus all the others that they might give you anyway.

This can't be answered in any other way no matter how many times you ask it!

#5 mee

mee

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 19 2010, 01:24 PM) View Post
All of them. Plus all the others that they might give you anyway.

This can't be answered in any other way no matter how many times you ask it!

very intelligent .. you always give out diplomatic answers notworthy.gif

#6 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (please!), but I think you want your link profile to come off as somewhat natural and not scream "I'm trying to do SEO, and focussed on one particular anchor text!".

No sarcasm here, really, but..I'd expect Google's algorithms to be advanced enough to spot a natural or unnatural pattern. I'm not sure how good they are at it (maybe what is natural, and what they can understand is natural or not..depends a lot on the given niche..), but if you focus your link building efforts on one particular anchor text, this shouldn't be difficult to spot even by a machine.

I remember once reading on a well-known SEO blog (by an author who has usually given very good advice) that you don't want more than 20-30% of your anchor text to be the same, or else Google might spot it and not reward it (by not reward it Im not trying to suggest theyll ban your site if you have 1 link with exact matching anchor text too much, of course).

Others, would probably suggest that it totally depends on what would be considered natural for your niche. Meaning, that in one niche having 50% of exactly the same anchor text might be a backlink pattern that could have happened naturally....whereas in some niches having 10% of exactly the same anchor text might scream "SEO".....in the same way that some niches the vast majority of searches that are done are long-tail searches, whereas in others searchers might naturally prefer to use very similar keyword phrases.

Think about it - how natural would it be for this website (highrankings) to have 20% (let alone way more) of the anchor text in the links pointing to it read (exactly) "SEO advice"? It would be a lot more natural for this site to have links saying "here I got awesome SEO advice!", "check out this forum for SEO advice" and many other phrases that don't contain the word "advice".

In other niches - e.g. "pizza in san diego", the basket of possible phrases people might (and will) use to link to a website are probably a lot less diverse - it would make sense to have the words "pizza" and/or "san diego" in the majority of the incoming links to such a website.

@everyone else - Do you agree with this? That emulating an at least somewhat natural pattern of what might happen to a website naturally in your particular niche (in terms of anchor text), should be a good idea?

Or does Google not compare your site to what happens in your niche naturally?

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

Do you agree with this? That emulating an at least somewhat natural pattern of what might happen to a website naturally in your particular niche (in terms of anchor text), should be a good idea?

Yes. And the very best way to emulate a natural pattern of anchor text is to allow a natural pattern of anchor text. You can request specific anchor text here and there, but for the most part, just let it happen organically.

#8 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 20 2010, 05:48 PM) View Post
Yes. And the very best way to emulate a natural pattern of anchor text is to allow a natural pattern of anchor text. You can request specific anchor text here and there, but for the most part, just let it happen organically.

thanks. I believe I do think along the same lines as what you just stated..for example, I wouldnt try to get links from all kinds of blogs, but would try to get a link from one blog and then dig through that blog's blogroll...and the blogrolls of those other blogs,etc. rather than getting links from lots of blogs that aren't connected to another in any way.

and baiscally try to create something thatll spread naturally, but trying to make sure links will be the by-product if it does (normally they are if something spreads on the web, of course).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!