• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Please Review Bt Careers

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(Jon Hollis @ Sep 19 2010, 10:14 AM) View Post
OK I concede that I've taken the piss, I certainly didn't mean to and I won't make the same mistake twice but doesn't everyone come here for free advice? Isn't that, to a large extent, the whole point of this and all forums? To both give and receive free advice?

Look, we all have a specific SEO question that might pop up for a site we're working on which we're not sure about, and we might ask our network of colleagues on a forum if they have ever seen the same, or if they are familiar with the problem at hand.

That's not the same as being contracted for a site review and then asking for a free site review from your "peers." And if you're not getting paid by them for the review, but are just trying to show how knowledgeable you are by providing them with a free review, that's even worse since you're essentially taking others knowledge as your own.

#17 dhirubhai

dhirubhai

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 19 2010, 06:18 PM) View Post
Look, we all have a specific SEO question that might pop up for a site we're working on which we're not sure about, and we might ask our network of colleagues on a forum if they have ever seen the same, or if they are familiar with the problem at hand.

That's not the same as being contracted for a site review and then asking for a free site review from your "peers." And if you're not getting paid by them for the review, but are just trying to show how knowledgeable you are by providing them with a free review, that's even worse since you're essentially taking others knowledge as your own.

What I should have done is post a detailed overview of what we cover in an audit, in another area of this forum. Any response may have given me the information I was after, namely have we missed anything and at the same time imparted some of our knowledge. I will do this after I've submitted the report so as not to offend anyone by using this forum's knowledge for any kind of personal gain. Unless, of course, I have chopped off both my arms first as further punishment. Not sure that's possible, as how do you cut off your last arm? But I will try, nonetheless. I can always chew through at the elbow.

#18 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

Anyone with that degree of brilliant sarcasm and an ability to type with elbows has my respect!

wink1.gif

#19 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:28 AM

No interesting in flaming the OP (I think he got his faire share of that lol), but here's an even better one:

a guy i know (posted on another forum) about a call he received by someone....who has been......"doing SEO for over 20 years"

biggrin.gif

#20 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,960 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

I wouldn't worry about what BT would think, The site isn't actually part of BT anyway, just one of the graduate employment agencies!

AND I don't believe that British Telecom use "Fasthosts" as a registrar or have their websites hosted with Rackspace.

#21 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:07 AM

www.btplc.com/careercentre/graduates/index.cfm

It's with UK Fast, not Rackspace according to whois.domaintools.com/btgraduates.com

The right thing was done by splitting domain registration and hosting with two companies. I once had a server with UK Fast and a .co.uk domain from them too, when we parted waves (after they raped us for two months overage they failed to tell us about) they refused to release our domain name and we had to go to Nominet to get it back costing us days of downtime.

That was a hard lesson to learn!

#22 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,960 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

Yep, the graduates scheme is "farmed out" to agencies

Whois Report (btgraduates.com)

Registrant:
TMP (UK) Ltd
TMP Worldwide
265 Tottenham Court Road
London, London W1T 7RQ
GB

Domain name: BTGRADUATES.COM

Administrative Contact:
Cook, Richard richard.cook@tmpw.co.uk
TMP Worldwide
265 Tottenham Court Road
London, London W1T 7RQ
GB
+44.2072689070x9070
Technical Contact:
Cook, Richard richard.cook@tmpw.co.uk
TMP Worldwide
265 Tottenham Court Road
London, London W1T 7RQ
GB
+44.2072689070x9070

Registration Service Provider:
Fasthosts Internet Limited, domains@fasthosts.co.uk
+44.8708883600 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +44.8708883600      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +44.8708883600 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
+44.8708883760 (fax)
www.Fasthosts.co.uk

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 03-Jun-2010.
Record expires on 03-Jun-2011.
Record created on 03-Jun-2010.

Registrar Domain Name Help Center:
tucowsdomains.com

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.UKFAST.NET
NS0.UKFAST.NET

And the applications go to btgraduates-apply.co.uk

Whois Report (btgraduates-apply.co.uk)

Domain name:
btgraduates-apply.co.uk

Registrant:
GradWeb Ltd

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
Mill Reef House
Cheap Street
Newbury
Berkshire
RG14 5DD
United Kingdom

Registrar:
Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-Reg.co.uk [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 14-May-2010
Renewal date: 14-May-2012
Last updated: 20-May-2010

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns.rackspace.com
ns2.rackspace.com

#23 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

interesting @ Andy! ...Ive heard that before many times over that it's a must to separate hosting and domain /registrar....have done it anyway (on the one site i havelol), but now im even more convinced i should do that to prevent any such issues in the future! thanks for sharing

#24 MauriceWalshe

MauriceWalshe

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

oh deary deary me :-)

as some one who spent 15 years inside the wire and one of the first 5 webmasters back in 94 I will have to do a longer critique of this. Having said that BTs corporate web presence was always considered the red headed special needs child within the company.

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Sep 20 2010, 12:57 PM) View Post
I wouldn't worry about what BT would think, The site isn't actually part of BT anyway, just one of the graduate employment agencies!

AND I don't believe that British Telecom use "Fasthosts" as a registrar or have their websites hosted with Rackspace.

I think BT is a registrar I certainly worked a system to do that, how ever having systems not run by bt proper is not as unlikely as you might think. Grad recruitment is probably part of group hr whereas BT operate is quite a different part of the company.

Back in the day comnet (the part of bt that allegedly runs things) where unable to service bt worldwide's intranet and the whole thing was done and supported by our team in one of the SE dev divisions - and hosted up in CAPITAL (the main international exchange in Scotland)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!