• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Please Review Bt Careers

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dhirubhai

dhirubhai

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

Hi we've just launched a new site for graduate jobs at British Telecom.

www.btgraduates.com

General
The site is finished and is live.

If completed:
It's been up for about a week

SEO
Do you have incoming links? There are currently only about 10 indexed inbound links from 1 site.

What keywords are you targeting?
bt careers
bt jobs
jobs with bt
graduate training
graduate schemes
graduate job

Do you want your code reviewed for errors or improvements?
Yes please.

Marketing
Who is your target audience?
Nationality: UK first, European second, ROTW third
Age Range: 21+
Income/Education level: degree level graduates
Likes/Dislikes: n/a

Why is your site different from sites selling/offering similar info/goods/services? Why will someone want to do business you?
This is BT's new careers website, it offers a direct route to one of their graduate training schemes.

How important is usability?
Moderate to high.

What is the purpose of the site?
To provide information
To advertise graduate jobs and training schemes within BT
To get visitors to submit enquiries
To get visitors to submit application forms
To get visitors to call

Design
Do you want design suggestions?
Not required.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

No idea what the website is all about from that splash page home page. I'd give it a #fail just for that alone as I'm not going to click in to figure it out.

#3 dhirubhai

dhirubhai

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 18 2010, 04:58 PM) View Post
No idea what the website is all about from that splash page home page. I'd give it a #fail just for that alone as I'm not going to click in to figure it out.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, but that's not really a review is it Jill?

#4 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:39 AM

I can say without a shadow of a doubt I feel your site was built by an idiot with an eye for design and no clue about usability.

If that was a battle between design and usability then design won and usability lost out big time.

Your mobile site is better, much better as it looses the BS logo based nonsense spinning navigation. That at least is clean, simple, crisp and easy to use.

Clicking a tiny dot on something that moves is a dumb assed idea if ever there was one, again I see pretty on the eyes but shockingly poor for usability.

As for Jill not providing you with a review, that's better than a review, she's a smart enough cookie that if she doesn't get it then Googlebot and pals will struggle. Smart human, decent IQ I'm guessing and she's not getting it on initial page load then you've really got some work to do.

I have to ask, why is a company known for making millions a day asking for reviews on a forum? I also have to ask why are you not recruiting a web usability consultant or someone who knows how things work is more important than how they look.

I sersiouly think BT needs to employ a proper usability consultant, in general all of your sites are total bastards to navigate and work with. So bad I would rather deal with one of your folks in an Indian call centre than go on the site. That's right: dealing with someone one the sub-continent with a poor command of the English language is actually less frustrating than trying to find something on your site and Indian calls centres are one of my pet hates.

That as a single example tells you just how wrong BT get it and continue to get it.

Nutshell summary: Pretty to look at but shockingly poor (appauling) in terms of usability.

#5 Schevikhoven

Schevikhoven

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:08 AM

I would definitely ditch the logo navigation. Users shouldn't have to play a game in order to get somewhere. I see you have a tree menu on the left, so using that on the main page is a simple fix. You could replace the logo navigation with lets say the top5 most important pages so the visitors are even more likely to find what they need.

As the first positive feedback:
The accessibility page was a nice touch imho. A few tips on how to increase font size is a good idea and to me this page adds a little trust & a feeling that someone actually thought about what i might need.

The videos page is a bit better than the logo navigation, but still a simple list with a headline, a quick description and a screenshot is a lot nicer to look at. In the current flash version you are making visitors to play a memory game: flip one tile at a time and try to remember which icon was for which video. Games are good, but when people are forced to play a game then they might just hit the back button.

I guess the site's purpose is to give graduates a way to start working in bt. If this is the case, you could consider giving the relevant things a little more emphasis. At the current stage i just didnt get a "click", like "This site is for the bt jobs". Instead i just got the feeling like it's about bt. Maybe the navigation can even fix this, and an easy way to give the emphasis to these things is to use the free space left over from the logo navigation.

Fix it a bit and it'll be a good site.

#6 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:17 AM

The fact there's a page for acessbility is almost comedic when the primary navigation is the way it is.

Is it a parody or an irony or both? Either way it stinks of lip service to me.

#7 dhirubhai

dhirubhai

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE(Mooro @ Sep 19 2010, 11:39 AM) View Post
I can say without a shadow of a doubt I feel your site was built by an idiot with an eye for design and no clue about usability.

If that was a battle between design and usability then design won and usability lost out big time.

Your mobile site is better, much better as it looses the BS logo based nonsense spinning navigation. That at least is clean, simple, crisp and easy to use.

Clicking a tiny dot on something that moves is a dumb assed idea if ever there was one, again I see pretty on the eyes but shockingly poor for usability.

As for Jill not providing you with a review, that's better than a review, she's a smart enough cookie that if she doesn't get it then Googlebot and pals will struggle. Smart human, decent IQ I'm guessing and she's not getting it on initial page load then you've really got some work to do.

I have to ask, why is a company known for making millions a day asking for reviews on a forum? I also have to ask why are you not recruiting a web usability consultant or someone who knows how things work is more important than how they look.

I sersiouly think BT needs to employ a proper usability consultant, in general all of your sites are total bastards to navigate and work with. So bad I would rather deal with one of your folks in an Indian call centre than go on the site. That's right: dealing with someone one the sub-continent with a poor command of the English language is actually less frustrating than trying to find something on your site and Indian calls centres are one of my pet hates.

That as a single example tells you just how wrong BT get it and continue to get it.

Nutshell summary: Pretty to look at but shockingly poor (appauling) in terms of usability.

I'm not sure how this site became the way it is but from my experience it's often client driven. The client has lot's of nice staff, with lots to say and maybe that's why they wanted lots of videos, accessed through the big Flash spinny about thing on nearly every page. All the video content is available in transcript form, so it's not completely wasted as far as search engine spiders maybe concerned.

We're doing their SEO audit hence this post. I think we've nailed it but I wanted to see if we may have missed anything as this forum is where we've half learned our trade over the years.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

if she doesn't get it then Googlebot and pals will struggle.

Bingo!

If a person coming to the site has no idea what it's all about, how would Google know? How would they ever be able to classify it and have it show up for the search queries that might otherwise relate to it?

Every page of every website needs to be extremely clear what it's purpose is and what it's all about, assuming you want it to be found in the search engines for relevant search queries.

And I also agree with Mooro regarding a huge company like BP asking for reviews on a forum. It's really not appropriate.

Just read this in your last post:

We're doing their SEO audit hence this post.

How dare you! You're being paid to do a site audit and you come to a forum to get the answers. How embarrassing for you. I hope BP notices this thread and fires your ass.

#9 dhirubhai

dhirubhai

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 19 2010, 02:16 PM) View Post
Bingo!

If a person coming to the site has no idea what it's all about, how would Google know? How would they ever be able to classify it and have it show up for the search queries that might otherwise relate to it?

Every page of every website needs to be extremely clear what it's purpose is and what it's all about, assuming you want it to be found in the search engines for relevant search queries.

And I also agree with Mooro regarding a huge company like BP asking for reviews on a forum. It's really not appropriate.

Just read this in your last post:
How dare you! You're being paid to do a site audit and you come to a forum to get the answers. How embarrassing for you. I hope BP notices this thread and fires your ass.

Why all the hate? I've done the audit and as I've just said - "I think we've nailed it but I wanted to see if we may have missed anything as this forum is where we've half learned our trade over the years. ". That's why I've asked for a review, because I value members opinions.

Jill you need to add a new rule so that others that have done an SEO audit for a big company know that they shouldn't ask for a review of the site on here. I certainly wouldn't have done if I knew. Mental.

#10 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

I don't detect any hate however I detect a piss take.

You've been paid to perform an SEO audit on a site for the leading UK telecoms provider and you've come here to get free advice.

That, no matter how you look at it is a piss take.

As for a change in rules, no I don't feel they're needed, a change of the SEO company BT uses sure is though.

#11 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

If you want a proper SEO review this link might be worth following:

http://www.highranki.../website-review

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

Why all the hate? I've done the audit and as I've just said - "I think we've nailed it but I wanted to see if we may have missed anything as this forum is where we've half learned our trade over the years. ". That's why I've asked for a review, because I value members opinions.

And how do you think the people at BP are going to feel when the realize they've hired an SEO who needs to get additional opinions on a forum so that they don't miss anything? Doesn't really inspire confidence that they've hired the right firm, imo.

I think you might understand this point if you think about how you would feel if you knew they were reading this thread right now. Would you care?

#13 dhirubhai

dhirubhai

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(Mooro @ Sep 19 2010, 03:04 PM) View Post
I don't detect any hate however I detect a piss take.

You've been paid to perform an SEO audit on a site for the leading UK telecoms provider and you've come here to get free advice.

That, no matter how you look at it is a piss take.

As for a change in rules, no I don't feel they're needed, a change of the SEO company BT uses sure is though.

OK I concede that I've taken the piss, I certainly didn't mean to and I won't make the same mistake twice but doesn't everyone come here for free advice? Isn't that, to a large extent, the whole point of this and all forums? To both give and receive free advice?

#14 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

Yes of course free advice is a huge part of the internet and forums however you've charged for advice you're seeking for free which indicates that you were not worth paying in the first place.

Sorry to be so hard but really if I had a client like BT for SEO I'd be contributing my genius on forums and highlighting how great we are to have earnt such a prolific client, you've done it the other way around. You've picked up a world class client that you don't deserve and billed them for info you're trying to source for free.

Anyone else detecting a hint of this:

#15 dhirubhai

dhirubhai

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

Dude, I've conceded that I've made a mistake in asking for this review but you haven't any idea what our skills are at all.

"You've picked up a world class client that you don't deserve", that maybe the case but you are jumping to conclusions based on the mistake of my asking for the aforementioned review and not on any actual evidence or any examples of our work.

Edited by Jill, 19 September 2010 - 12:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!