• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wordpress / Php / Mysql

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hi,

I seem to be going round in circles at the moment trying to get wordpress to work so I hoped an expert like Randy might be able to help.

I have set up IIS 5.1 via the windows XP disk, this is working fine.

I have installed PHP 5.2.14 and it seems to be running fine, I've done the environment variable thing, made the required php.ini changes, and run this code which works
CODE
<?<?php

echo phpinfo();

$inipath = php_ini_loaded_file();

if ($inipath) {
    echo 'Loaded php.ini: ' . $inipath;
} else {
    echo 'A php.ini file is not loaded';
}

?>
all looks tickerty boo!

I've installed mySQL 5.1.50 and run the configuration tool, which completed sucessfully.

HOWEVER....

I've tried to install PHPMyAdmin and WordPress both complain with...
PHPMyAdmin -> Cannot load mysql extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation

WordPress -> Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

Any ideas why I can't get PHP to talk to mySQL?

I've checked and doubled check all the settings / php.ini changes required for php_mysql.dll etc. the extension isn't missing regardless of what wordpress says?

All help appreciated.
1DMF

#2 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

I've never had any success using PHP + MYSQl on IIS. Tis much better (IMO) to run on a Nix setup.

#3 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

All i have is one production server running IIS & MS SQL , now I'm prepared to install PHP for windows, and I know you can run MS SQL and mySQL on the same box, but what you can't do is run IIS & Apache or XAMPP or other websrver on the same box at the same time.

Now PHP5 & mySQL claim they run on IIS and therefore are MS Windows compatible.... however i'm starting to feel that that statement is total BS!

I have over 40 websites for over 35 companies including mission critical applications all set up under IIS using MS SQL & Perl (which by the way DOES run on windows like it says on the box - thank-you active state perl!)

If mySQL 5.1 & PHP5 doesn't run on IIS then I can't use WordPress or anything else that relies on those resources.

I currently have PHP4 on this server running fine, only the latest PHPMyAdmin @ mySQL require PHP5 to run, which appears to not be MS IIS Windows compatible.

So the bottom line... looks like i'm stuffed! shout.gif

#4 MauriceWalshe

MauriceWalshe

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

does the mysqli extention show up in the output from phpinfo() ?

you might also find the native tools from mysql better than phpmyadmin - though you will want to lock that down to only your ipadresses.

having said that you will have problems getting the url rewrting to work so id go for a unix install

#5 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:27 AM

Sorted it in the end.

*Nix install is totaly out of the question as mentioned....

Turns out the v5.2.14 zip file has the wrong mysql.dll files in it, that's why they wouldn't load, however the v5.3.3 zip file has the php5isapi.dll missing from it.

As IIS v5.1 cannot be set up to run PHP as a web extension, I managed to crib together the files I needed form both 5.2.14 & 5.3.3 zip files, it's all runing fine now.

I've been told I need VB2008 runtimes to make PHP v5.3.3 to work, which I don't have installed, but I guess as you guys are *nix mad, you won't know why I suposedly need them or why it's working without them?

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,018 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

but what you can't do is run IIS & Apache or XAMPP or other websrver on the same box at the same time

You can run IIS and Apache on the same box!

What you cannot do is run them both on port 80 (the default HTTP port). So you edit httpd.conf and set Apache to listen on port 8080 or 8888

You can do the same with IIS but it's a bit more tedious.

Now http://localhost:8888 | 8080 is the Apache website and http://localhost is IIS

#7 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:00 AM

But if someone typed their domain into a web browser, wouldn't that automatically try to connect to port 80? or 443 if SSL is involved?

Running it local for testing with a non-standard port number might be ok while playing with it, but how do I configure IIS and Apache to answer to requests both over port 80 dependend on what domain is requested, once it goid live with production websites?

If they both listen on port 80, would only the server that is set to reply to the vitual host relating to the domain name requested respond?

Is that possible?

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,018 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:49 AM

But if someone typed their domain into a web browser, wouldn't that automatically try to connect to port 80? or 443 if SSL is involved?
Yes.

Running it local for testing with a non-standard port number might be ok while playing with it, but how do I configure IIS and Apache to answer to requests both over port 80 dependend on what domain is requested, once it goid live with production websites?
Set both servers with the hostname on port 80 and redirect (or frame-forward) to the appropriate port.

If they both listen on port 80, would only the server that is set to reply to the vitual host relating to the domain name requested respond?

Is that possible?
No! A listening port can only be used by one application

Alternatively you could use virtualisation software to run the hardware as two "virtual machines" biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#9 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Alternatively you could use virtualisation software to run the hardware as two "virtual machines"
Yeah I guess there is always VM.

But I've got it working now, so I think IIS won't need to be replaced :phew.gif:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!