• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Does Young Google Get Past The "age Gate" On Wine Site

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WaldenPond

WaldenPond

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

I plan to work on an wine site and was curious to learn how does Google get past the age gate that we have setup, since all the pages are indexed.

#2 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:55 AM

I'm not certain what you mean by age gate, but I'm guessing it's a 'click here to certify you are over 18' type thing? If so, I'm guessing that this is just one way into the site and if there is a direct link to a page somewhere then G will get in via that route - i.e. the individual page don't know or care if you've been through the age gate and will just display when called, so a simple link will bypass the gate.

If you can give us some more info about what you mean by an age gate and how it's built and I might be able to tell you a bit more about how G sees the pages - PM me a link if you like, then I can check it out myself.

#3 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for the PM. I've had a look and my original guess was wrong as it remembers if you've been through the gate and won't display the pages until it knows that you have, so a direct link is not going to allow G to scan the page.

My next hypothesis would be that the age gate can recognise the difference between a web browser (which must go through the gate) and Googlebot (which is G's automated program for scanning the web and would not need to go through the gate)

Alternatively, I suppose G might be able to recognise the age gate and knows what to do with it, but that seems a little beyond googlebots current known capabilities AFAIK.

If you sign up for G's Webmaster Tools you will find a function to view your site as googlebot sees it via 'Fetch as Googlebot'; that would probably tell you if my latest hypothesis is right.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,875 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

You might also check through Google's Webmaster help sections to see if they have a specific method for allowing them through. They may or may not. They have a one-click free option but that would make it so you have to show anyone who comes in from Google the page that they requested. That might not work with your age gate.

I think you cannot use an age gate if you want to be crawled and indexed, however. You may have to do it a different way.

#5 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

As Google will no doubt retrieve at least the Home Page, just check Spiders in a Stats package and all will be revealed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!