• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Making The Most Of The Existing Links

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hex

Hex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

The agency my brother works with has recently identified that a lot of links point to his site from other sites but they point to pages that have since been removed and these are now shown as 404 errors if you follow them.

He was advised to put in a custom 404 error page witha link to the homepage to pass the value back there where possible and this makes sense, however, something else they did which I found really interesting is they provided a table that showed all of the incoming links pointint to dead pages which showed up as a 404. With this information they adviseed to look at each link 1 at a time and see where the most relivent plae for it to go to i. Does anyone know how they can have done this? What did they use to create such a useful report as I would like to run it on a couple of my sites whih I have changed around over the years.

#2 nuttakorn

nuttakorn

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE(Hex @ Sep 10 2010, 09:18 PM) View Post
The agency my brother works with has recently identified that a lot of links point to his site from other sites but they point to pages that have since been removed and these are now shown as 404 errors if you follow them.

He was advised to put in a custom 404 error page witha link to the homepage to pass the value back there where possible and this makes sense, however, something else they did which I found really interesting is they provided a table that showed all of the incoming links pointint to dead pages which showed up as a 404. With this information they adviseed to look at each link 1 at a time and see where the most relivent plae for it to go to i. Does anyone know how they can have done this? What did they use to create such a useful report as I would like to run it on a couple of my sites whih I have changed around over the years.

This is one of Link building tactic, Link Reclamation. Firstly you identify the links which response as 404 or 302 and then you can use as 404 custom strategy or using the 301 to new pages that you will send the link juice value to new pages for maximizing the link value from existing links. You can use the tool like Open Site Explorer to identify.

Additionally , you can use this strategy to identify the anchor texts and optimize it as well.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,949 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

They probably used Xenu's Link Sleuth ™

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

He was advised to put in a custom 404 error page witha link to the homepage to pass the value back there where possible and this makes sense

No, that doesn't make sense. A 404 error page doesn't get indexed by its very nature and therefore wouldn't pass any link popularity.

The no longer in existence URLs that are are being pointed to by other sites should be found and 301-redirected to their most appropriate counterpart--NOT 404'd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!