• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Removing A Ton Of No Follow Tags--should I Worry?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eteare

eteare

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

Started at a new company, doing in-house SEO. We are working on their footer, where they now have everything no followed. Now, I am not a big proponent of link sculpting, which (I think) is why a predecessor of mine added no follows to all those links. But the pages have good, meaningful, keyword rich content that I want the engines to spider. And the directories aren't that deep; might add a total of 20 more pages that can be followed.

So anyway, my inclination is to say, remove all the no follow tags. But this change will affect tens of millions of pages. Yikes! I am afraid making a change like this might affect our rankings significantly. And SEOMoz has me all freaked out that bad things will happen. But that doesn't change my mind that link sculpting is wrong.

What's a girl to do? Remove one no follow link at a time, say during each monthly iteration? Take them all up and throw the results to the gods?

Any advice, resources, etc. great appreciated.

Erin

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

I've always been opposed to the idea of PR sculpting, even when I thought it might work. I don't see the point in publishing a link if you don't want a search engine to follow it. So my opinion in this case is pretty obvious.

Besides, if you're talking about "tens of millions of pages" on the site and about 20 links that are currently nofollowed, this is such a tiny percentage of the total number of pages that I can't believe it's going to adversely affect anything.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE(eteare @ Sep 1 2010, 02:03 PM) View Post
Started at a new company, doing in-house SEO. We are working on their footer, where they now have everything no followed. Now, I am not a big proponent of link sculpting, which (I think) is why a predecessor of mine added no follows to all those links. But the pages have good, meaningful, keyword rich content that I want the engines to spider. And the directories aren't that deep; might add a total of 20 more pages that can be followed.

PageRank sculpting was always a bad idea, but it was thoroughly discredited by Google last year when they revealed they had changed the way they handled pages with nofollow on internal links more than a year before and no one in the SEO industry noticed. Clearly, all the people who were boasting that their SEO testing had proven that PageRank scrulpting works didn't know what they were talking about.

And SEOMoz has me all freaked out that bad things will happen. But that doesn't change my mind that link sculpting is wrong.

See above for why you can reasonably ignore anything SEOmoz has to say on the subject of PageRank Sculpting and what to do with nofollows. It may very well be that some sites hid significant problems by choking off PageRank to a ton of pages they didn't know what to do with, and when they removed the nofollow attributes their original problems came back.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

You can safely remove them.

While I don't think that change will have any effect, it is in fact perfectly fine to make sweeping changes to any site that affect hundreds of thousands of pages without upsetting Google. They just reindex and refigure. It's not a problem for them and they don't get upset.

#5 eteare

eteare

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

You all have safely assuaged my fears. That's why I come to this forum! Thanks a ton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!