• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wordpress Multi Site Network And Domain Mapping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:42 AM

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what kind of implications a set up like described in this blog post has on how Google or other other search engines will evaluate your website.

Because your secondary domain is parked on the primary domain, when you pull up a page on the secondary domain you briefly see a reference to the primary domain.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,959 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

Can you provide us with some additional information on what you're asking so we don't have to necessarily click through to the other post?

#3 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

Hi Jill,

I'll post the instructions of that blog post here to provide more details about the technical set up required to create a WordPress multi site network

1. Setting up the domains:
    1. Setup your main domain. This may involve the basics like registering it, setting up the nameservers, setting up the hosting etc. Once you have the hosting setup and you are ready to upload the files, follow these steps before installing Wordpress.
    2. Let's refer to your primary domain as www.primarydomain.com and let us refer to your secondary domain as www.secondarydomain.com.
    3. Wildcard DNS: Create a subdomain on your primarydomain.com called "*" (without quotes). This will make sure that <some-random-sub-domain>.primarydomain.com does not return a 404 error.
    4. Park your secondary domain: Add www.secondarydomain.com as a parked domain in your account.

2. Install Wordpress
    1. Install Wordpress 3 at www.primarydomain.com as instructed in the official documentation and setup your first site.
    2. Add the following line to your wp-config.php file define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);
    3. In the wordpress admin section go to Tools > Network. Choose subdomains amongst sub-domains and sub-directories. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the network setup.
    4. Once you finish the network setup you'll have the Super Admin menu activated on the admin screen.
    5. Go to Super Admin > Sites. Add a new site (for the secondary domain). For now we'll have to set it up as a subdomain and we'll later map it to the main domain. Let's create it as secondary.primarydomain.com.
    6. Browse to this site and verify that everything is fine.

3. Domain Mapping
    1. Download the wordpress-mu-domain-mapping plugin. Extract it to a temporaty folder.
    2. Upload sunrise.php to wp-content.
    3. Upload domain_mapping.php to wp-content/plugins/
    4. Edit wp-config.php and add define('SUNRISE','on'); and use the "Network Activate" option to activate it (find it on the plugins manager page).
    5. Set the server Ip address to the ip address of www.primarydomain.com (find that by pinging www.primarydomain.com).
    6. Log into http://secondary.pri...in.com/wp-admin
    7. Go to Tools > Domain Mapping
    8. Under "Add new domain" enter secondarydomain.com and check "Primary Domain for this blog". Click "Add".
    9. Now your secondary site will be available at www.secondarydomain.com instead of secondary.primarydomain.com.

#4 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi Serpico,

I'm a little confused with this part [code=auto:0]3.Wildcard DNS: Create a subdomain on your primarydomain.com called "*" (without quotes). This will make sure that <some-random-sub-domain>.primarydomain.com does not return a 404 error.[/quote]

But what about an exisiting sub domain WWW ?

Why would you not want a 404 for sub domains that don't exist?

If you use domain parking, it is either going to cause problems with duplicate content OR if it redirects to perform webforwarding you need to know what type of redirect is being performed 301 or 302 otherwise you won't get the desired link juice.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Some people set up wildcard sub-domains to capture typo traffic and try to track it. Other people set it up to just capture as may eyeballs as possible.

What would Google think of it? I've never seen a site penalized for using wildcards but it has been a long time since I've seen a site try to use them. I would guess that if you serve any content on the wildcards that it would probably be treated as duplicate content and filtered out.

If you anticipate drawing a lot of links to the site, using the wildcards might help you get some broken links fixed, or at least identify where to implement 301-redirects. But it might just be a waste of your time and resources (if defining a server record is much of a resource to waste).

#6 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Aug 31 2010, 04:29 PM) View Post
Hi Serpico,

I'm a little confused with this part [code=auto:0]3.Wildcard DNS: Create a subdomain on your primarydomain.com called "*" (without quotes). This will make sure that <some-random-sub-domain>.primarydomain.com does not return a 404 error.

But what about an exisiting sub domain WWW ?

Why would you not want a 404 for sub domains that don't exist?

If you use domain parking, it is either going to cause problems with duplicate content OR if it redirects to perform webforwarding you need to know what type of redirect is being performed 301 or 302 otherwise you won't get the desired link juice.

Hi Guys,

I've used live htttp headers to see what happened when you pull up a page or the root domain.

I noticed at the end of page rendering that a reference was made to the primary domain, but it looks like that has to do with setting a cookie or identifying what site is being requested.

When you request a page or the main root domain, a HTTP/1.1 200 OK status is given for the right URL, so it looks like everything is in order.

The wild card dns has to do with the ability to have multiple sites hosted on their own domain name, all the sites will make use of only one WP installation which makes updating a whole lot easier.

The domain mapping plugin uses the wild card set up to make that happen somehow, I'm not that technicall to give you a more clearer explanation...sorry. smile.gif

#7 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

Let us know how you get on, as having one WP admin account to control multiple customer domains given them their own CMS login is something I am considering getting into, so would really appreciate your feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!