• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

One Or Multiple Pages On My Site Per Keyword?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maria83

Maria83

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:49 AM

I just wanted to confirm this issue to make sure I know what the best approach is.

If I'm going to target a keyword for my website - say 'chest workouts for women', would it be better to:

1. Write one good article on my site focused on this keyword and then go and write numerous other articles on the same keyword on other sites (blogs) hyperlinked back to that specific page on my site (hyperlinking with the target keyword)

2. Create multiple pages on my site all focused on that keyword.

I'm just not sure if it's helpful to have more than one article/page on that keyword strictly speaking in for SEO benefits - and these articles would all be unique and offering different advice. (for example, how to perform chest workouts for women, best exercises for chest workouts for women, etc).

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,939 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

BTW your "keyword" is actually a "phrase" given that it contains more than one word!

And there is no "best" approach.

But publishing the article on your site and then promoting it is really the ONLY way to actually get people to YOUR site.

#3 Maria83

Maria83

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Good point, my 'phrase' smile.gif.

But what I'm still somewhat wondering is strictly from a SEO point - trying to rank for a certain keyword on my site, would there be a big advantage to say having 20 posts/articles published for that phrase on my site versus 1 post optimized for that page?

(let's say the number of inbound links are the same in both cases to make all things equal).

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

would there be a big advantage to say having 20 posts/articles published for that phrase on my site versus 1 post optimized for that page?

Since traditionally at most only 2 pages from any one site can show for any given term, there's not much benefit to having more than 2 that focus on the same exact phrase.

Google is experimenting with showing more than 2 under certain conditions, however, so this advice could be changing.

#5 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

I would think you need to vary your terms, to get some others in there that are related. Things like chest exercises or upper body workout for women.

Your audience (as always) would make a difference.

For bodybuilders strong.gif , chest workout would sound right and if you were writing towards men, possibly trainers (or those working with trainers), that might be best as well. But for the average woman, you might vary your terms a little more.

It seems like men and bodybuilders workout, women are more likely to exercise. You are doing a workout, and within that workout are particular exercises, some being chest or upper body exercises for women. Of course there are other terms but this is just an example.

This way you have more of a chance at drawing a larger audience. Not everyone searches on the terms you think they will.

Seems like a waste to have 20 articles focusing on one keyword or phrase.

#6 Maria83

Maria83

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 28 2010, 02:37 PM) View Post
Since traditionally at most only 2 pages from any one site can show for any given term, there's not much benefit to having more than 2 that focus on the same exact phrase.

Google is experimenting with showing more than 2 under certain conditions, however, so this advice could be changing.

Okay, perfect. That's the exact bit of information I was looking for. smile.gif

And yes, definitely using variations will work - my site is going to be just targeted towards the women audience so workout tips for males probably won't work, but there are plenty of other options for females.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!