• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Inconsistent, Strange Results From Google Keyword Tool

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Since Google launched the new version of its keyword tool, I've been seeing really strange results. For example, in June, I got these numbers for global monthly searches, exact match:

sedona az homes for sale 27100
sedona az real estate 5400
sedona az homes 4400
sedona homes for sale 1300
uptown sedona real estate <10
oak creek canyon homes <10

Today Google Adwords Tool gave me these numbers for the first 4 keyphrases but no response on the last two. I don't know what to believe anymore.

sedona az homes for sale 210
sedona az real estate 590
sedona az homes 170
sedona homes for sale 390

And the guy whose doing the SEO work on this site (and whom I've found to be trustworthy on other projects) sent me these numbers for local monthly searches:

Sedona homes 49,500
Sedona for sale 49,500
Sedona real estate 33,100
Homes for sale Sedona 33,100

If I run the same keyphrases, for exact match, local monthly searches, I get:
Sedona homes 210
Sedona for sale 46
Sedona real estate 1300
Homes for sale Sedona 140

I don't know what to believe anymore. Am I doing something wrong, or is the tool messed up?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

The keyword tools suck right now.

Have you tried the legacy one?

https://adwords.goog...orceLegacy=true

#3 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for that link, Jill!!! I didn't realize that there was any way to get back to the old tool.
Suz

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, I was complaining on Twitter one day about the new tool (can't stand it) and someone gave me that link. Still not great, but we're kinda stuck these days.

Sometimes I think we might as well just go back to guessing at kws just like the old days. It's nearly as accurate as the tools.

#5 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Just had a long talk with the owner of the company that is doing the SEO on my client's site. He had been angry because he thought the client was trying to dictate keyphrases, when the dictation was coming directly from me. He couldn't understand why she was upset because her site was ranking high for a bunch of keyphrases. The problem was that he and I had very different views on the value of her high ranking keyphrases. He was amazed to realize that he and I were both using Google's tool and getting radically different numbers. Until I talked with him and sent him my numbers from old and new tools, I don't think he realized how very broken the new tool is. Now he's like, "oh no, what are we going to do now?"

Traffic on that site had gone down about 30% and naturally the client wants to know why she has been paying them $thousands for SEO only to have her traffic go down, and I think it's because they were optimizing for keyphrases that get little traffic. The SEO company has done excellent work on other sites for my clients, but I think this caught them by surprise. We've been seeing numbers as "off" as this:

Homes for sale Sedona 210
Homes for sale Sedona 33100

Sedona for sale - no data
Sedona for sale 49500

What a mess!

#6 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

Figures also change depending on whether you're logged in or not. Makes no sense. I'm going to switch to the legacy version.

#7 BlueHorseradish

BlueHorseradish

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 20 2010, 02:57 PM) View Post
Yeah, I was complaining on Twitter one day about the new tool (can't stand it) and someone gave me that link. Still not great, but we're kinda stuck these days.

Sometimes I think we might as well just go back to guessing at kws just like the old days. It's nearly as accurate as the tools.

Yes, I saw that tweet by Jill and I do use that legacy link, but it always prompts me to log in first to use it. Not sure if you just have to have a Google account or have to have an Adwords account. Since I have both, I don't know for sure.

If anyone hears that the old interface/legacy version is going away, please post. Yes, I like the old version much better and don't like the new one.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

I haven't looked or done any comparisons, but I have heard through the grapevine that Google has adjusted their numbers in the kwr tool. My hope is that means they actually fixed it.

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well, how are we to know what was broken and whether anything is fixed?

I've used both versions recently and they are reporting the same data for me. Make of that what you will...

#10 AffMan

AffMan

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 20 2010, 12:23 PM) View Post
The keyword tools suck right now.

Have you tried the legacy one?

https://adwords.goog...orceLegacy=true

I too want to thank you for this link. The other day I clicked around and found it, but I didn't save it.
I thought I something seemed "fishy", but figured Google couldn't goof.

This is my first post, but I plan to learn a lot from all of you,
and occasionally have a contribution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!