• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Subdirectories Geo-targeting And Use Of A Blog

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iCeR

iCeR

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:01 AM

I have decided to go with subdirectories for geo-targeting across several countries.
The following issues have arisen.

1. HP and the like use the same content across all country subdomains - does this mean SE's can have become better at geotargeting and duplicate content is not an issue? ie: could I theoretically use the same content for each country subdirectory, but vary up the lingo accordingly?

2. Placing a blog on the site. Subdomain, subdirectory, doesn't matter? The issue is the high traffic keywords targeted per blog post. How can I go about targeting the same blog post for each country? I don't want to create 7 versions of wordpress on the site to sit on each subdirectory - it doesn't sound right at all. What is the best way for me to go about writing blog posts and targeting those keywords and content for each country? I thought maybe articles, but again, it doesn't change the issue. I would be duplicating the articles across all domains.. then again I'm doing that with content?

3. Geolocation detection. Determining the user's location by IP and redirecting to the appropriate subdirectory.. is this an issue? I see many corporations doing this..

Thanks!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,947 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

CODE
Geolocation detection. Determining the user's location by IP and redirecting to the appropriate subdirectory
IPs indicate the country of the ISPs main Office NOT necessarily the user.

therefore all Search engine are in the US and ALL AOL users are in Virginia.

#3 iCeR

iCeR

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Aug 17 2010, 09:37 PM) View Post
CODE
Geolocation detection. Determining the user's location by IP and redirecting to the appropriate subdirectory
IPs indicate the country of the ISPs main Office NOT necessarily the user.
therefore all Search engine are in the US and ALL AOL users are in Virginia.

Thanks for clearing that up Chris. So how do HP and the like auto-detect location and redirect accordingly? And is this SE friendly?
Any pointers on the dupe content and blog issue?

Thanks again - your comments are always appreciated!

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,947 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

They take a "best guess" based on IP but give the user an option to override the locale, which is then "cookied"

"SE Friendly"? Yes and No.

If you force it on all Useragents and dependant on HOW you redirect, SEs may only ever index the content related to their location.

#5 iCeR

iCeR

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Aug 18 2010, 09:20 PM) View Post
They take a "best guess" based on IP but give the user an option to override the locale, which is then "cookied"
"SE Friendly"? Yes and No.

If you force it on all Useragents and dependant on HOW you redirect, SEs may only ever index the content related to their location.

Forget it.. users can use the country selector smile.gif

Do you have any thoughts on use of a blog targeting all subdirectory countries? and regarding dupplicate content?
Even a ref. to a thread on the high rankings forum would be appreciated.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!