• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Rich Domain Vs Good Sounding Domain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 srsly

srsly

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

Hey guys,

when I started my first SEO site I thought that having a keyword rich domain was so important that i named my domain after a specific mattress, the coldfoam-mattress. Well, now the site is working and I have traffic and sales. I want to make the site bigger now and offer pillows and other stuff. But lately I always keep thinking that the name sounds kind of stupid. I mean the site is about healthy sleep and stuff like that and i named it coldfoam-mattress dot com (in german). That sounds really retarded in my opinion.

I want a better sounding domain, but I'm not sure if I stand a chance without a keyword domain in the SERPS. Also changing the domain can be messy.

What you think I should do? Would you rather have a shitty sounding domain, but with good keywords in it, or a domain that sounds good and shows what your page is about?

#2 Quadrille

Quadrille

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

You have to weigh up the costs and benefits of changing.

You've argued the benefits quite convincingly; but what will you lose by dropping a successful domain?
  • Links?
  • Reputation?
  • Familiarity?
  • Google [Cool URIs Donít Change]

etc.

It may be the right way to go for you, but the carphone warehouse never bothered to change their domain, and I don't think it hurt them.

If you do proceed, then be sure to do it right to minimise the damage!

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

One thing you could do is create a new site for all the other products and just leave specific mattress one alone.

#4 vhss

vhss

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

Original, non-regular even stupid domain names actually easy to remember for a regular person. Check it yourself - try to write down, let say ten domain names, visited by you.

Good luck!

thumbup1.gif

#5 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

The most commercially successful selling site on the web is Amazon.
Not exactly keyword rich, but every person who ever sat in a classroom knows about the River Amazon. Memorable in the extreme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!