• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Anchor Text ..weight...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:04 AM

When it comes to anchor text and its importance for ranking for a certain keyword, I assume the quality of the link is taken into account by the search engines as well?

What I mean is: having a link from an authoritative site that says "SEO" would help the highrankings-website rank for "SEO" more, than a link from a noob's SEO blog (which has "SEO" as the anchor text, too), right?

Will one really strong link with the anchor text "SEO" help the ranking for the keyword "SEO" more than a handful of links from directories that pass almost no link juice (but all say "SEO")?

In other words - the whole quality vs. quantity of links, does it apply to anchor text, too.....or only for overall link authority?

PS:

If you create a piece of content to draw links to your site, but youd have a hard time getting the right anchor text, could you put that piece of content on a separate website....and then place a link from that to the original website with the perfect anchor text in it? Or would that not help nearly as well as getting plenty of links with the right anchor text to your original website (where that piece of content is hosted)?

#2 sitemakerij

sitemakerij

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:48 AM

With inlinks we always say Qualtiy rules over Quantity. You're better of with one quality or authority inlink then 10 random ones.

Adding a good Anchortext would only strengthen tha opinion.

I would not split content for creating links. Stick with building your main website and make it top quality.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:22 AM

Will one really strong link with the anchor text "SEO" help the ranking for the keyword "SEO" more than a handful of links from directories that pass almost no link juice (but all say "SEO")?

Yes, that's what PageRank is all about.

#4 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

@sitemakerij:

I know that quality > quantity when it comes to inbound links. My question was if the same concept could be transferred to the whole idea of anchor text being important.

And as for not splitting content..do you have any actual reason why you would not do it? I'm not the kind of person who will listen to someone who just says that..without giving me a reason -Im annoying like that sorry wink1.gif

@Jill:

Not sure if the way I put it might have been a bit unclear (just realized that now), or if you understood exactly what I was wondering.

I do realize that one strong link should generally help more than a handful of directory links or forum signature links.

However when it comes to the importance of anchor text, in order to rank for a certain keyword phrase, does Google only look at how much page rank is passed with a certain anchor text attached to it...or do they maybe care about the number of sources that anchor text comes from.

(abstract) Example:

option 1: highrankings gets a link from the SEObook homepage that passes 37 units of link juice, and the anchor text in that link is "search engine optimization".

option 2: highrankings gets 10 links from other similar websites, that..together pass 37 units of link juice, too. All of those links use the anchor text "search engine optimization".

So in each scenario highrankings would get 37 units of link juice...all of them having the anchor text "search engine optimization". Would it not make any kind of difference how many anchor text mentions there are (only one link vs. 10 links with the exact anchor text)?

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,443 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

You really are totally and utterly overanalysing it.

#6 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Aug 13 2010, 11:39 PM) View Post
You really are totally and utterly overanalysing it.

lol, you could be right, but I do think it's important for myself to understand this for the decision at hand, though. Because if the number of links containing a certain anchor text has absolutely nothing to do with it, only the amount of pagerank that anchor text is attached to (so-to-speak), then putting that content on a separate website and having the link juice from that site flow to the main site (Im not gonna analyze how much this is dampened right now ;-))..would help a great deal with ranking for that particular (important) keyword for which we have virtually no anchor text links, yet.

My guess is that it doesnt work like that, though and that both, the number of links and the quality of those links..using a certain anchor text...are taken into consideration by Google....correct?

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,443 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:53 AM

but I do think it's important for myself to understand this for the decision at hand

Why??

You will NEVER EVER understand what "weighting" is on what links, and just when you think you do, Google will have updated/tweaked and it will be different.

The "decision at hand" for links should never be about how Search Engines will 'value' the link, it should ALWAYS be about the users and is the link useful for THEM!!

As I have said before: Consider SEARCH not search engines and it becomes much easier.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

Would it not make any kind of difference how many anchor text mentions there are

Common sense would tell me that yes it would make a difference.

#9 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:21 AM

Chris..out of mere curiosity - when you make those posts are you actually somewhat angry inside..or do you just type like that? lol Im really wondering that

#10 sitemakerij

sitemakerij

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

@PatrickGer: The reason why i should not split content just for a achortext link is that keeping all your content together is much stronger for your overall ranking and relevance the a few content islands that have to rank on there own. It's also much more user friendly keeping everything on one website.

By the way, that split content would have to have good links too itself as well, so you're just moving the problem to that special made website.

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,443 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(PatrickGer @ Aug 14 2010, 02:21 PM) View Post
Chris..out of mere curiosity - when you make those posts are you actually somewhat angry inside..or do you just type like that? lol Im really wondering that

Not at all, I just like to emphasise the pertinent points, and communicate my opinions in a few words, preferably without hyperbole or excessive use of superlatives.

#12 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Aug 15 2010, 09:27 PM) View Post
Not at all, I just like to emphasise the pertinent points, and communicate my opinions in a few words, preferably without hyperbole or excessive use of superlatives.

So youre really sitting there in front of your PC, completely calm, while you type this stuff? interesting hehe :-).

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,443 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:05 AM

Ah, you're mistaking a deep seated fascination and passion for a topic, with indignation and anger that no one is taking any notice of what I'm insisting is fact.

#14 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Aug 17 2010, 12:05 PM) View Post
Ah, you're mistaking a deep seated fascination and passion for a topic, with indignation and anger that no one is taking any notice of what I'm insisting is fact.

Hehe, now I know! thanks for pointing it out

PS: are you guys having a party or something? 20 new posts since i was last here a few hours ago...?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!