• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Upsets The Apple Cart In Determining Page Rank.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RegDCP

RegDCP

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

On 15 Oct 2009 a Google employee Susan Moskwa said of the removal of the Page Rank tool bar in Google's WebMaster Tools:

"We’ve been telling people for a long time that they shouldn’t focus on PageRank so much; many site owners seem to think it’s the most important metric for them to track, which is simply not true. We removed it because we felt it was silly to tell people not to think about it, but then to show them the data, implying that they should look at it. :- "

The SEO implications of this are definite.
Inbound links will not affect ranking, or do so in an unmeasurable fashion.*

The major proof of this is that lower PR sites can do better in search results than higher PR sites. The higher PR site would have many more links.

While Google has removed page rank from their toolbar, they have not killed the browser's PR graph.
They removed the PR toolbar because, for ranking purposes, Page Rank was being attacked on many fronts by those looking to artificially inflate their page rank.

Policing, or trying to police something by selectively red flagging and disallowing linking schemes and sites must consume a enormous effort.
I cannot blame them for taking PR out of their positioning algos.

However, Page Rank is used in a lot of other situations and Google's test post about removing it from the browser met with a lot of opposition a couple of years ago.
I would suspect that this is why it is still available.
Well that and there would be countless sites willing to jump into the PR metric game vacuum, (like Alexia).

Google has not only upset the apple cart on linking, but also in the way they compute Page Rank.

Before, it used to be computed on a strict mathematical progression, the PR being transferred was .85 of the linking page's PR divided by the number of outbound links.

Now it seems to be more based on relevance than mathematics.
One of my sites has maintained a PR4 rating for a long time.
If I check my stats I see that this year 2723 websites have sent us traffic.

Another of my websites which has only been online since mid May (NBS-SEO.com) , just got a PR4 ranking.
My stats show only 120 sites linking.

The determination of Page Rank has to now be decided on relevance.
Most of the links to my NBS-SEO are from SEO relevant discussions on forums and groups like this.

#2 mickmel

mickmel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Wow, there's a lot to correct here. Here's a start...

The major proof of this is that lower PR sites can do better in search results than higher PR sites.

This has been obvious since day one. If not, then a PR10 site would rank first for EVERY query. Can you imagine ESPN not ranking first for a search for "ESPN"?

Google has not only upset the apple cart on linking, but also in the way they compute Page Rank.

Before, it used to be computed on a strict mathematical progression, the PR being transferred was .85 of the linking page's PR divided by the number of outbound links.

Now it seems to be more based on relevance than mathematics.

The Google ranking algorithm is certainly based more on relevance than mathematics. The PageRank algorithm is still (assumed to be) mathematical, and used as one of about 200 factors to determine the placement of a result.

Another of my websites which has only been online since mid May (NBS-SEO.com) , just got a PR4 ranking.
My stats show only 120 sites linking.

That's not surprising. You could theoretically be a PR8 with just one inbound link. Doesn't mean you'll rank well.

The determination of Page Rank has to now be decided on relevance.

Again, no. PageRank is math; page rankings are based on relevance.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

PageRank is still very important to Google's algorithm. But that's real PageRank, not toolbar PR.

Nothing has changed in that respect, nor would I expect it ever to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!