• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Adding Extra Parmeters...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hi Gang,

The organization has a problem because they use coldfusion and they have several different instances where different urls are going to the same page or extremely similar versions of the same page. I have started to work with the development team on a solution.

I am trying to get them to go from....http://www.mydomain.com/tracks.cfm?u=europe&s= to something like:

www.mydomain.com/index.cfm/usergroup/europe

One of the marketing teams want them to construct their urls similar to the way google's code generator is set up so they can essentially be able to run reports in GA on those specific tracking strings. Their complaint is that after someone navigates past the entrance page, they cannot see them in GA (these are for email campaigns).

I think they are not using GA properly...because ideally, you should be using goals and funnels and maybe advanced segmentation to track the progression of a user from a specific group of users through the site. I have not looked at their campaigns yet, but maybe they could probably use some form of advanced segments to get at the data.

In addition, using GA url builder, the Campaign Source, Campaign Medium, Campaign Term, Campaign Content, and Campaign Name parameters would come after the string, so it would look like this:

www.mydomain.com/index.cfm/usergroup/europe?utm_source=companylist&utm_medium=email&utm_term=customers&utm_content=testlink&utm_campaign=springsale

One guy on this marketing team wants all of the urls set up this way so they show up in GA that way.....the web development group is tied up in knots because they know they need to fix the dynamic url problem, but are getting pulled every which way.

At this point, not completely understanding what the marketing team is doing, I think its unnecessary because you should be able to do this with funnels....but...maybe I am wrong, what do you think?

Finally, if there are pages that are similar that are being used for various promotions, at my last gig, we would put them up in the robots.txt so they would not be spidered...but this place does not even use robots.txt on any of their hundreds of sites....

Thanks in advance. All comments and feedback appreciated. DJKay

Opinions, appreciated..

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

Use the  canonical link element[/hr].

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

Yes, I will be bringing that up when I meet with the development staff. Thanks.

#4 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

Update...had a meeting with the marketing folks...and we were able to sort out their issues with GA...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!