• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Is The Devil In The Details?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

I'm working with a friend (on his website) and I realize that he gets done things very fast (great to work with someone like that), but isnt big on details. I, on the other hand am the opposite - I'm extremely thorough and cant help myself but pay attention to every little detail.

Obviously, whether one or the other is a good trait depends on the context - in French class in high school I got nothing but A's (because the main difficulty in written exams came down to avoiding mistakes that are all about details), now in college however, I have major issues with the curriculum because paying so much attention to details/being thorough slows me down when I'm expected to study the material much, much faster.

I think I've noticed that being a detail-freak is relatively important for conversion optimization/PPC.

Is this observation right? Do small changes (that some people consider, and others simply dont) often make big differences in the ROI of PPC campaigns?

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:55 AM

Personally I think yes, to do a job properly you need to get the finer details right.

But sometimes it's not always good to micro manage, because you don't get to see the whole picture.

If you can see the whole picture but understand the small detail making up the picture and make tweaks and changes in the right place, you should be able to master your campaign efforts and maximise ROI.

Remember in the world of PPC a simple word change or additonal keyphrase can make all the difference, though from my limited experience fine tuning a PPC campaign, just like SEO can sometimes be more of an art than a simple mathematical calculation.

#3 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

That's interesting..thanks.

Normally (with SEO & Internet Marketing) I have no difficulty understanding the big picture (imho). No idea what this is like with a PPC campaign, though. will see it when I run one, I guess ;-)

"and I realize that he gets done things very fast" - hmm, this sounds like Im a foreigner! Wait I am LOL

QUOTE(1dmf @ Aug 6 2010, 10:55 AM) View Post
Personally I think yes, to do a job properly you need to get the finer details right.

But sometimes it's not always good to micro manage, because you don't get to see the whole picture.

If you can see the whole picture but understand the small detail making up the picture and make tweaks and changes in the right place, you should be able to master your campaign efforts and maximise ROI.

Remember in the world of PPC a simple word change or additonal keyphrase can make all the difference, though from my limited experience fine tuning a PPC campaign, just like SEO can sometimes be more of an art than a simple mathematical calculation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!