• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirects

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DavidBowen

DavidBowen

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I have recently taken the plunge and setup a new site/new domain for an ecommerce site, run a data extract from an existing site of mine, created new meta data from the extract & loaded this to the new site (my thinking being this would overcome duplicate content issues).

Next step was to run the site: command to extract the 109 URLs that Google UK had listed for the old site and used a 301 redirect to point these to the new site.

So far, so good....

By Day 2 of this exercise, Google is already dropping the old URLs - over 60 have gone by Day 3.

However, I'm now on Day 5 and running the site: command again, Google now has 1,460 results from the old domain!

What happened!?!? How come Google suddenly finds way more URLs than before?

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

What do these URLs look like, do you have some system generating URLs with dynamic query strings which might be creating these pages.

Are these real pages? you seem to imply there were way less than this , and now you have pages that never existed?

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

What happened!?!? How come Google suddenly finds way more URLs than before?

You're probably just looking at an older datacenter of Google's.

#4 DavidBowen

DavidBowen

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Aug 5 2010, 03:53 PM) View Post
What do these URLs look like, do you have some system generating URLs with dynamic query strings which might be creating these pages.

Are these real pages? you seem to imply there were way less than this , and now you have pages that never existed?

Yes, there are (were) all real pages. I've been tracking the indexed content of this site for a couple of years. For the last several months it's been declining from 1,000+ to 109 pages. This was partly the reason for a fresh start.

#5 DavidBowen

DavidBowen

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 5 2010, 04:54 PM) View Post
You're probably just looking at an older datacenter of Google's.

For months I've been lookng at more or less the same set of data in Google. I don't understand why this should suddenly change.

The real question though is what to do about it. If I use a wildcard redirect, I'll lose the value of the individual redircts. Or just bite the bullet and buiild the remaining 1,000+ redirects...

Out of interest, how many results do others see on this google.co.uk/search?q=site%3apetdealz.co.uk site: search?

Edited by chrishirst, 06 August 2010 - 06:17 AM.

#6 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:45 AM

My understanding is that G! only drops pages from its index if they are orphaned(no IBL's) or dead(404). It reindexes any that have moved(301)

Obvioulsy if they breach TOS or don't meet quality guidelines they can be culled, why are your pages vanishing from G?

#7 DavidBowen

DavidBowen

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Aug 6 2010, 09:45 AM) View Post
My understanding is that G! only drops pages from its index if they are orphaned(no IBL's) or dead(404). It reindexes any that have moved(301)

Obvioulsy if they breach TOS or don't meet quality guidelines they can be culled, why are your pages vanishing from G?

Mostly due to duplicate content. The site is a drop shipping site that takes a standard data feed from the supplier &, naturally, trying to differentiate the site was proving problematic. The new site meta data structure is fundamentally different and, more importantly, unique.

What I still don't get is how the site: command can suddenly leap from 109 results to 1,400+

#8 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:01 AM

Duplicate content is a filter, not a penalty and the pages should still show with the 'site:' operator, just not appear in the SERPS after a normal keyword search as they are filtered.

The differentiating results are normally as Jill says, becasue you are seeing results from different data centres that are out of sync with each other.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

The other thing to understand is that google's site: command doesn't always work.

What does your Webmaster Tools account tell you?

And if you page through all those 1400 results what are you finding that they're indexing. This should help diagnose what's happening, if there is indeed a problem.

#10 DavidBowen

DavidBowen

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 6 2010, 01:13 PM) View Post
The other thing to understand is that google's site: command doesn't always work.

What does your Webmaster Tools account tell you?

And if you page through all those 1400 results what are you finding that they're indexing. This should help diagnose what's happening, if there is indeed a problem.

WM Tools tells me 129 results. All of the 1400+ results are valid in so much as the URL was legit prior to the 301. Most of them now generate a 404 on the new site so I guess Google will start to drop them reasonably quickly.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Most of them now generate a 404 on the new site so I guess Google will start to drop them reasonably quickly.

Wait, they're generating 404's? They need to be redirected via 301's.

#12 DavidBowen

DavidBowen

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 6 2010, 03:11 PM) View Post
Wait, they're generating 404's? They need to be redirected via 301's.

Yes, 404s. The 109 URLs that I'd thought were indexed have been redirected with a 301. The TLD has been redirected with a 301 as well, so these 'new' URLs don't have a 301 in place and are directing to a standard 404 page on the new site.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Instead of redirecting to a 404 just redirect them to the home page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.