• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Updating Someone Else's Places Page

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,604 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

About a week ago, an old friend's kind of desperate message on facebook (she had to find two Jews in Honolulu -- no, I'm not kidding) led me to search Google for [honolulu jewish temple]. The local business results that were returned (see attached image) made it pretty clear that Google was accepting as relevant the presence of the word "temple" even in the absence of "Jewish" in the results, as almost all of the names I saw appeared to be Buddhist temples.

But one of the results looked pretty promising: Temple Emanu-El. So I clicked over to their Places page and sure enough, it looked like I'd found what I needed. But then I noticed the domain name in the link to their site: emanuelnyc.org. NYC? That doesn't stand for something like New Yiddish Culture, does it? No, clicking through to the site made it clear that Google had the wrong info. This is the site of Temple Emanu-El in midtown Manhattan -- a very famous temple, actually.

So I decided to be a good citizen of the internet and correct Google's information. I tracked down the real domain name of the temple in Hawaii: shaloha.com (cute, huh? shalom, aloha, shaloha), clicked the "Edit this place" link and made the correction.

A week later, the link to the NY temple's site is still there. There's a note indicating that "this place has unverified edits" and a link that brings up a list of those edits, including mine.

All this is just the background for my question. Is it common for it to take this long for this obvious a correction to go through? I'm sure the fact that I'm not the verified contact for the temple means that it takes longer than it otherwise would, but how much evidence do they need?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,913 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

I don't believe you can change any page unless you verify you're the owner. Imagine all the things competitors would do if you could!

(If you're still looking for two jews in Honolulu, I know of 2.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!