• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Content On A Big Number Of Listing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

I would like your input on this as it will be a long work for me and I want to find the best way to do it.

I am doing a directory of about 50,000 listings of companies in my field. It be split by services and locations (states and cities).

I want to put a description to all of them. I have a few options and wanted to make the best choice. Some will be longer than others to do so I do not want to do it ifi don't have to.

The first thing I will do is to make the listing. When the listing is done. I will email the company and tell them that we have given them a free listing on our site and to email me a description on a number of words. Also to send me a unique description. I will end up with probably a certain number of companies which will reply. That would give me free unique content.

Secondly for the ones that won't reply. I will go to their website and take a description of their companies as the description for their listing.

Now does it worth taking the description on their website. I was even thinking of rephrasing their description for unique content.

Am I overdoing this? Does it worth having unique content for all listings?

#2 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

Taking a snippet of copy from someone's website and using it as-is on your own website is copyright infringement.

Also, just from having bad experiences with sites like you are describing adding me and including wrong information, I - personally - would be very upset if you forced me to be in your database. If I don't reply to your request, that usually means I'm not interested or your email was trapped by my spam filter. I don't think it is good form to include people that don't specifically say they want to be included.

You might consider adding just the company name, address and phone number (IF that information is on the company's site). Then email the companies and tell them they can have a free listing if they will send you a xxx-word description.

If you don't hear back, take them out. You could even use that as a way to create urgency. "We want to offer the highest quality database possible with the most accurate information. We would hate for you to miss out on the additional traffic this listing will send to your website. Please reply with your listing description by [DATE] or your free entry will be removed."

#3 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

This is a good point! These listings are already part of government databases that people add to subscribed to be in. Also the government agencies gives the permission to use any part of that database. I am not trying to justify but I would never impose a listing to anyone. But this is a good point of emailing everyone and asking them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!