• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Recreating Existing Sites In Wordpress

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PVMAA

PVMAA

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

Hi:

We're going to rebuild our current static html website in WordPress. My current page names are all simple: www.mysite.com/index.html,
www.mysite.com/aboutus.html, www.mysite.com/services.html and the site's been out for 3 years and is doing well in Google for our key terms, etc.

So I know I can save pages in WordPress as index, and services, and aboutus, but WP doesn't automatically generate a .html extension. I'm assuming that won't matter - that Google will see www.mysite.com/aboutus as being the same as www.mysite.com/aboutus.html but I wanted to be sure.

On the same line, if an extension goes from being .html to .php, but the url is otherwise the same, is it considered the same?

Thanks!

#2 mickmel

mickmel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

Google will certainly NOT see those as the same pages. You'll want to setup 301 redirects from the old pages to the new ones so google can pass their current link juice to the new ones.

#3 PVMAA

PVMAA

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(mickmel @ Aug 3 2010, 05:21 PM) View Post
Google will certainly NOT see those as the same pages. You'll want to setup 301 redirects from the old pages to the new ones so google can pass their current link juice to the new ones.

Okay, so if I can get WordPress to add .html I'm good, but if not, I need to do the 301 redirects?

#4 mickmel

mickmel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(PVMAA @ Aug 3 2010, 04:33 PM) View Post
Okay, so if I can get WordPress to add .html I'm good, but if not, I need to do the 301 redirects?

Exactly. Either solution would work well.

#5 PVMAA

PVMAA

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(mickmel @ Aug 3 2010, 05:36 PM) View Post
Exactly. Either solution would work well.

Thank you very much!

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,553 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(PVMAA @ Aug 3 2010, 04:33 PM) View Post

You can get WP to add the .html through your permalinks settings.

For instance, I wanted a .php extension on the end of posts for one of my WP blogs, so I set a custom permalink setting ending with %postname%.php.

With creative use of post categories, tags, etc. and the Structure Tags listed at http://codex.wordpre...sing_Permalinks you can probably set up your new URLs so they match whatever you have now, so you won't have to do 301 redirects at all.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!