• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wikipedia Backlinks .. Any Seo Value ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

Hi .;

It's all in the title .. did I get any SEo value from wikipedia backlinks ? I know it's nofollow, vut I don't know why it's seems important to me to get links from related pages ..

Any thoughts ?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

I doubt that nofollow links are absolutely ignored. And even if you get no credit for the link, its presence probably means there's a mention of the site on the page (in the link itself and maybe elsewhere), and if the Wikipedia page is ranking well and is relevant, it may well send you some direct traffic.

Unless the mention on the page is about how terrible the site/company/person in question is, I'd say it has value.

#3 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

Actually the wikipedia page is ranked 4th in Google for the keyword I'm trying to rank for ..

#4 chapulin

chapulin

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

One of the recommendations from our SEO consultants was to create a wikipedia page for the company. I wonder if this is actually good. I mean, first of all, backlinks are 'nofollow', so there should be no weight at all for search engines. If it had any weight, anybody could change this page (it's wikipedia after all), so what would be stopping the competitors (or just anybody with extra time in their hands) to change this to spam?
And worse, if you do a good job at entering info here, given Wikipedia's importance, it might actually take a spot above your own company in the search results for the same terms you wanted!

Am I too wrong here? I don't see how adding an entry in Wikipedia can benefit the company as far as SEO goes. (It could still bring traffic I guess but I think that'd be minimal)

#5 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:30 AM

For what it's worth ....

My largest site has incoming links from three Wikipedia pages. So far this month, those links gave me 105 direct page views, out of a total of 344 (by "direct", I mean other than from a search engine). So that suggests that the links are definitely worthwhile.

But to keep it in perspective, the same site received over 30,000 page views from search engines in the same period.

Obviously, there's no reason why these particular figures will be relevant for other sites, but I thought it might be interesting to mention them.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,006 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

Unfortunately, Wikipedia frowns on companies creating their own Wikipedia page. Plus, you can only have one if the company is "noteworthy" i.e., they've had some write-ups in the press about them.

Your best bet if your company is in fact noteworthy is to see if you know a Wikipedia editor who can add your company. Barring that, it would be to have someone outside of the company spend a lot of time editing at Wikipedia on pages unrelated to your company and then eventually adding the company page, very carefully following all the guidelines of course.

But don't bother if the company isn't noteworthy to begin with as you'll just be wasting your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!