• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Subdomains Vs Dedicated Ips..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Hi,

In making my rounds of intro meetings, I found out that the web development group wants to take 9 publications and make them into subdomains that run off a single IP. Using CSS to build as they say a 'container' for each pub. I understand there is various functionality that does not work well in a cross domain environment. The pubs are related yet build out various aspects of the topics related to the product.

First and foremost, from web development's perspective, its being done for practicality and usability. In my reading, I see a lot of questions around using subdomains as an seo practice to better optimize sites...Not sure I quite understand that other than each sub domain would ultimately have a kwp associated with it, which goes with the tenor/optimization for that sub domain...so..example..gluten-free.dogfood.com; whole-grain.dogfood.com

From what I have read over the years, google sees each subdomain as its own site and they can be optimized accordingly. I found out through the head of the web development team that someone passed around a Matt Cutts article which said something to the effect that there were a 'limited' amount of domains' so the senior execs are uncomfortable with it. I am not sure if they are mixing up concepts (this happens alot...and I do it myself, I could even be doing it in this very email)

I did find a matt cuts article about virtual hosts vs dedicated ip addresses http://www.mattcutts...d-ip-addresses/ Then again, I am not sure if 'virtual hosting' is = to or means the same thing as one ip with a subdomain structure.

Certainly, they would need to put up 301 redirects from the previous sites so, what are the other things that need to be considered?

Feedbacks, comments, suggestions are all greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DJKay

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

There is no search optimization reason to be concerned about what the Web development group proposes in using sub-domains, as you describe it.

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

It did not seem like it. Thanks, DJKay

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

My understanding is that Google will treat a sub domain the same as a folder/directory.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,717 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE(piskie @ Jul 28 2010, 07:28 AM) View Post
My understanding is that Google will treat a sub domain the same as a folder/directory.

So "blogger.com" or "wordpress.com " will be handled as one very big site??

#6 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

chrishirst,

My impression of your post responding piskie is that you disagree? I apologize in advance for being so thick? Is that what you mean? Thanks, DJKay

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(piskie @ Jul 27 2010, 11:28 PM) View Post

Not automatically. If there is substantially different content on the subdomains, they will be treated as separate hosts (sites). Most corporate Websites don't want to have "separate" sites anyway, when they are using subdomains. They want the user feel like they are moving through a homogenous environment that just happens to have brandable URLs (although many corporate subdomain names turn out to be antibrand-style names like ma187092.example.com).

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,717 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE(DJKay @ Jul 28 2010, 02:50 PM) View Post
chrishirst,

My impression of your post responding piskie is that you disagree? I apologize in advance for being so thick? Is that what you mean? Thanks, DJKay

I it's the sweeping statement that I disagree with, because it is plain to see that it is NOT the case.

I am also aware that it is a direct quote from the Google propaganda machine and as usual should not be taken at face value or as "gospel truth". There is an implied meaning of:

"If YOU treat subdomains as integral to your website in your navigation, then so will Google"

After all the SEs have no knowledge of actually how your website is really structured (virtually or physically) and the navigational structure is how they find their way around (as do real users).

#9 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for responding to my post & clarifying. DJKay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,