• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Tweets & Social Media Mentions = Ranking Factor?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

just had this thought a few seconds ago, that half a year ago or so, I read about social media mentions (e.g. tweets?) possibly already being a ranking factor or becoming (an important) one in Google.

I think I read that on "stuntdubl"'s blog or on SEOmoz or something... (Im not really sure where to be honest)

Is there any truth/evidence for this?

It wouldn't surprise me, as it's basically just a link, too.. just wondering if it's the case already or not really!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

Is there any truth/evidence for this?

Sure. It's becoming a popular form of online marketing which would be foolish for Google to ignore.

It's not "just the link" since the links are typically nofollowed.

It's more the perceived authority of the tweeter, the number of retweets something might receive, that sort of thing. The Caffeine update was in a big part made to do a better job of quickly indexing real time stuff like social media mentions.

#3 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

thanks...interesting I must say!

It'd be foolish for Google to ignore, but I assume when such new signals arise (that they can use in their algo), they still test them in their algo first and then come to the conculsion "helps" or "helps not", right? Do such new signals normally always help re-fine their algo...or does stuff sometimes turn out not to be useful (engouh to become an *important* factor)? And have we any way of knowing?biggrin.gif

I once wondered: Why does Google look at only "amount of link authority" not "rate at which new link authority is acquired (divided by how much exposure/link authority the site already has..knowing that the "rich get richer")". I mentioned this somewhere else (web analytics blog), where someone agreed that this would be a much better signal of quality...but I'd assume the engineers at Google know this better (and why they're not using it), probably having tested it, right?

In other words, it remains yet to be seen if twitter,etc. signals turn out to be a (somewhat) important ranking factor?

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 27 2010, 02:47 PM) View Post
Sure. It's becoming a popular form of online marketing which would be foolish for Google to ignore.

It's not "just the link" since the links are typically nofollowed.

It's more the perceived authority of the tweeter, the number of retweets something might receive, that sort of thing. The Caffeine update was in a big part made to do a better job of quickly indexing real time stuff like social media mentions.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

In other words, it remains yet to be seen if twitter,etc. signals turn out to be a (somewhat) important ranking factor?

I would say it's a factor just like the hundreds of other things that are a factor. And it's going to be search query dependent most likely. If the query is one that deserves freshness, social media mentions could likely come into play.

#5 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 27 2010, 10:01 PM) View Post
I would say it's a factor just like the hundreds of other things that are a factor. And it's going to be search query dependent most likely. If the query is one that deserves freshness, social media mentions could likely come into play.

I guess well see what the future holds for this..

thanks for your replies, (once again).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!