• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is Mapping Static Urls To Dyamic Urls Still Necessary?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Hi Gang,

How are you? I hope you are well...I am wondering if you still need to map a dynamic urls to a static urls..I would like to understand where we are at today with this 'best practice' i.e. suggestion...as you know, nothing stays the same in our world and google has become alot better at crawling dynamic code...http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/09/dynamic-urls-vs-static-urls.html (this article is from 2008 so I can only assume they have only become better still)

I am at a new gig that has a home grown content management system using cold fusion. Their site is getting spidered. Where are we at with this?

What should be some of the things I should look for to see if this is indeed a problem and worth starting to bang the drum on it? When I go into the analytics account and look under top content, then say drill down to one of the sections, say /tracks/ I am seeing instances of pages that are crawled that are slightly different. So...it may be a paragraph of content with lists of links..

The new gig has many types of sites for me to optimize, one of those is an e-commerce site.

I believe the old alan perkins article recommends deep linking from a static url as a way around it.

Thanks in advance.

DJKay

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

How are you? I hope you are well...I am wondering if you still need to map a dynamic urls to a static urls

You never really had to do that. Well, in the 90's I guess. But dynamic URLs haven't been a problem since then.

If your URLs are being indexed correctly than there's nothing to worry about. If you have pages getting indexed under multiple URLs, however, because there are many ways to reach that content and the URL parameters change accordingly, then you may have some problems. That's what you need to look for.

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 23 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post
You never really had to do that. Well, in the 90's I guess. But dynamic URLs haven't been a problem since then.

If your URLs are being indexed correctly than there's nothing to worry about. If you have pages getting indexed under multiple URLs, however, because there are many ways to reach that content and the URL parameters change accordingly, then you may have some problems. That's what you need to look for.

Yes, the urls are getting indexed...but my preliminary look tells me that there are multiple urls for the same page...but I am sitting for the first time with the person who is head of web development today..(getting to know you deal)...

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Any other comments or feedback always appreciated. DJKay

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

but my preliminary look tells me that there are multiple urls for the same page..

And that's definitely not good. Should fix that and/or use the canonical link element.

#5 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hi Jill,

thanks, I just found out my vp knows its on the radar & needs to be fixed. I will need to look into coldfusion to see if there are any work arounds, ways to dedicate certain parameters..etc. If anyone else out there can save me some time, I would appreciate it. Of course, any other comments or feedback is always appreciated..

Thanks, Mary Kay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!