• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Monitoring Keywords In Realtime

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else had crafted up a similar tool to this, it's a screen dump of my "Realtime Monitor":

Each page view inserts a few values into a database, than I use some JavaScript to access a script that queries the database and refreshes my screen every few seconds.

Ii takes Google referrers to bits to work out the keywords the visitor used and which page they saw us on, it really gives me an insight into what is happening on my site this very moment.

That picture above just happened to show a pretty busy minute, I want every minute to be at least that busy!

The seconds column in there shows how long it took the server to do what it needed so I can find and fix slow downs.

I've already started making use of the data being collected by getting a list of the thousand most popular search terms to our site, I've added these links in rotation in place of ads on some of the other sites I run. I know we rank for those terms already but ranking higher would be nice!

I know I can get aggregated data from WMT but I prefer this as it lets me see what is happening when it's happening.

If I make the script available would anyone want a copy at no charge?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

Randy's GRE tool does something similar while also showing where the URL ranked when it was clicked. It's only Google traffic though, not all referrals.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,712 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Got one thanks biggrin.gif

#4 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Jill, I'd seen that before and considered it a bit too comprehensive for what I wanted but having just seen how it extracts the ranking data from the referring url I'm inspired to put a bit more work into mine!

#5 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

@Chris - Cool!

A couple of explodes later and hehe!

Till today I didn't know they were passing that data, I knew that /url? was a redirect but hadn't taken the time to study the variables in the URL itself.

I'm chuffed to have found that little gem!

ct=*

smile.gif

#6 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:54 AM

This seems like a nice idea.

Where's Randy's tool? I assume Ill find it on here if I search for it?

Do your everyday web analytics tools cover this - e.g. Omniture,etc.? Or is this something even the web analytics companies havent really thought of/implemented?

#7 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Randy's Google Rank Extractor / GRE Tool:

Info: http://www.randycullom.com/gre/
Demo: http://www.randycull...k-extractor.php

I had to go off on a search of the boards, narrowed it down and found it after a few queries.

It's been a little bit of an inspiration.

I'm now also logging if the visitor is a mobile device or not as my site shows either a PC or mobile based template. It's returning this plus ranking info when available as well as being able to narrow it down to the following:

All Google user agents
All Google searches
All searches with ranking info
All Google .com + ranking info
All Google UK + ranking info
All Google UK (UK Only) + ranking info

I'm logging everything and as of a moment ago there are 5,576,314 rows of logging data stored in MySQL. Ouch.

Having the data is one thing. What to do with it to get the best effect and highest sustained rankings is a different thing all together!

Tips on that one are most welcome!?!?!?

smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!