• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Two Blogs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 w0051977

w0051977

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

I have two blogs, which are both about software development using different technologies. I was thinking about having two URL's: mysite.com/blog and mysite.com/blog2. Blog and Blog2 would be two installations of Wordpress. Would this hinder my SEO? Am I better registering two different URLs? i.e. mysite1.com and mysite2.com?

Thanks

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

If you went with mysite.com/blog and mysite.com/blog2, what would be at mysite.com? I assume that if both blogs are going on the same domain, then that domain is about software development using both of the technologies discussed in the two blogs -- probably others as well.

If that's the case, then why not just have one blog, with some of the articles about the technology you would have discussed in one of the blogs, and some about the subject you would have had in the other blog? The site's main navigation can certainly point people in the right direction to satisfy whatever content appeals to them.

If you really feel that each blog has a completely separate audience, then maybe they shouldn't both be sitting on the same domain.

#3 w0051977

w0051977

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am a system developer and mysite.com contains information about me e.g. career, my cv etc - I have had this site for many years.

Based on what you have said,I should really have mysite1.com as my professional website, mysite2.com for my first blog and mysite3.com as my second blog. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

#4 w0051977

w0051977

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

Also I was thinking about having: blog1.mysite.com and blog2.mysite.com?

Thanks again.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(w0051977 @ Jul 18 2010, 05:41 PM) View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am a system developer and mysite.com contains information about me e.g. career, my cv etc - I have had this site for many years.

Based on what you have said,I should really have mysite1.com as my professional website, mysite2.com for my first blog and mysite3.com as my second blog. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

I think it depends on whether you strongly feel that the three sites would have three different audiences. If not, I'd lean toward making this all one domain. Keep in mind that if you make everything part of your main site, the new content will receive some benefit from its direct association with an established site.

#6 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Why run more installs of wordpress than you really need?

#7 w0051977

w0051977

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

Why run more installs of wordpress than you really need?

For SEO reasons only.

I think it depends on whether you strongly feel that the three sites would have three different audiences. If not, I'd lean toward making this all one domain. Keep in mind that if you make everything part of your main site, the new content will receive some benefit from its direct association with an established site.

If I went for the subdomain idea wouldn't this resolve the SEO problems? - the two blogs would then be associated with an established site,even though they are treated as three different sites for SEO?

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

I'm still not seeing a reason to do more than add a single blog containing posts in both categories to the main site.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

For SEO reasons only.

There are no seo reasons for having 2 blogs. I think you must be confused about something.

#10 w0051977

w0051977

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

For SEO reasons

I believe it is better to have two separate blogs i.e.mysite.com/blog and mysite.com/blog2 as they are about different topics. From a 'Wordpress' perspective it is better to have then as separate blogs as I can utilise RSS feeds more effectively by supplying users who have subscribed with highly relevant feeds.

From an SEO perspective: isn't it better to have blogs, which are more focussed on a subject?

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

From an SEO perspective: isn't it better to have blogs, which are more focussed on a subject?

Not necessarily. See what Qwerty wrote previously.

If the only reason for something is because you think it's better for SEO than it's typically not.

It would have to be better for the real people that come to your site for it to also be better for SEO in nearly every case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.