• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How Much Of Your Consulting Time Is Billable?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

I hope billable is an English word?lol

If you spend 50 hours/week doing SEO consulting, how much of that time do you get paid for @ your regular fee?

just head this question in my mind again after someone told me over a year ago that up to 50% of their time wasn't even billed..wondering if it's the same for SEO consultants..

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,018 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:20 AM

That's probably true for many fields, apart from the legal profession where they get you for every minute.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

I don't typically bill by the hour, but I do keep track of the hours I work on client's sites however, for my own internal billing purposes.

Many days I only have a couple of hours that is actual client work. It depends on how motivated and busy I am on any given day. Other days I may have 5 or 6. Rarely would I spend a full 8 hour day completely doing client work.

Much of my day is reading SEO news, staying on top of the latest, marketing my services, reading and posting here, writing articles, putting together presentations or training classes, etc.

That said, I can work pretty quickly on client stuff when I devote myself to it. I can do full site audit reports in only a couple of hours typically, but that comes with 15 years of experience!

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

I bill by the hour, and at least in my own case, a very small portion of my work day is billable.

#5 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

thanks for the input everyone!

#6 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

I'd say about 75% of my time is covered by my contracts with my client. The rest is spent reading material on SEO or watching videos to keep up to date on the latest trends. I doubt that will ever change given the changes that take place and new innovations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!