• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google's Spidering Time?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 alnany

alnany

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:09 PM

We started doing SEO to our site about 3 weeks ago. We started seeing results in google and most other search engines in as short as 1 week's time. Now, I hear Jill and many others say that google usually take about 3 months so we should wait and concentrate on pagerank for the time. Does this mean that it takes google 3 months to spider you COMPLETELY? Because obviously google picked up my site rather fast. Please clear the confusion, thanks.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 10:01 PM

It's not at all uncommon for changed or new pages to show up in Google almost immediately. It's also quite common for those changes to vanish without warning, leaving you wondering if, in all that spidering, Google found something to get you banned. So when that happens, please don't worry.

Google has a bunch of different data centers (9, I think) all of which have their own indeces. Because of that, changes often show up and then go away. It takes time for all the data centers to share all their information with each other. I wouldn't say three months is normal before you see things become stable, but it may take that long... a week is definitely not long enough.

Could you clarify something for me? I can't believe Jill actually told you to concentrate on your PageRank. She's of the school that says that PageRank should be pretty much ignored. I imagine what she probably suggested is that you should work on building links from reputable sites. That would make sense to me.

#3 JSH

JSH

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 10:12 PM

My theory is that changes in your Google rank occur in two steps. First, the Google spider must find and store your new/modified page. I have seen pages get spidered as often as every few days.

The more time-consuming step is when Google runs its magic algorithm to develop a new (hopefully higher) opinion of your page. Because any single page's rank is dependent on the rankings of other pages, it can take several cycles of running the algorithm (is this what they refer to as the Google Dance?) before Google's opinion/rank of your page stabilizes.

I have been told by a friend who was told by a friend ... who was told by a Google rep that you should give your changes 3 months to make an impact.

#4 alnany

alnany

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 11:16 PM

Could you clarify something for me? I can't believe Jill actually told you to concentrate on your PageRank. She's of the school that says that PageRank should be pretty much ignored. I imagine what she probably suggested is that you should work on building links from reputable sites. That would make sense to me.

Yeah, she didn't tell me directly, but I read it in another thread about building links from reputable sites. Sorry for the confusion.

#5 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 08:09 AM

Unfortunately Google doesn't tell us how their process works. My own current belief runs as follows:

Google currently has 10 datacenters and each has its most current view of the indexed database. (In fact, I believe each has a 2 version as well, so perhaps there are potentially 20 datebases. However at any time a few are merely redirects to others in the group.) When you do a search on a keyword, based on current traffic conditions you will be directed to one of these. The SERP is then determined on the basis of the database in the datecenter you have been directed to. The search algorithm includes a current evaluation of PageRank for each indexed web page.

Each indexed web page in the database has associated with it the following:
1. A cached version of the web page
2. A listing of backlinks as determined by a search for link:www.mydomain.com
3. A PageRank evaluation to be shown on the Google Toolbar.
None of these are current values. Some can be very dated. They may not relate to what the Google search algorithm is using for backlinks or PageRank.

From time to time, there may be a total or partial synchronization process to arrange that all or some databases have the same contents.

In summary, what the Google search algorithm is using may have nothing to do with what you can check out via the Toolbar or with link:.

That's why I go along with the advice of not stressing out about short term changes. What goes around comes around. :rolleyes:

Barry Welford

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!