• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Company Does Not Show Up For It's Own Name, But An Ad Does...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 leebrinckley

leebrinckley

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

In Google, what could be the reason for the following scenario:

For the last 3 weeks, a company does not show up for it's own name, but shows up for other keywords (company name + another kw, products, etc). Prior to the 4 weeks it did show on the 1st page for it's own name. Instead, another url shows up as no. #1 for this company and redirects to the company site. The url is an ad the company has on that site.

This is odd to me.

Thanks,
Lee

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

Sounds like the other company has a 302 redirect in place and more authority/links than the company itself.

Or there's a mix up in the hosting/dns.

#3 leebrinckley

leebrinckley

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 13 2010, 10:43 AM) View Post
Sounds like the other company has a 302 redirect in place and more authority/links than the company itself.

Thank you, Jill. I will explore this.

#4 leebrinckley

leebrinckley

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 13 2010, 10:43 AM) View Post

Just curious, w/o talking to the IT dept of the company first, is there a way/tool to find out if a 302 redirect has been put in place in conjunction with that ad?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

Yes, do a google search for server header checker and you'll find lots of tools.

#6 leebrinckley

leebrinckley

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 13 2010, 12:48 PM) View Post
Yes, do a google search for server header checker and you'll find lots of tools.

Thanks...no 302 redirect in place...but upon further investigation using the W3 Validator, I looked at the source of the page that the ad links to which causes the redirect. In the code is the following:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=domain">

Since the company shows up in Yahoo and Bing with their url, but Google shows the ad url redirect instead...do the 1st two ignore this meta tag and Google is hurting the company because they allow it? This is the first time I've experienced this, therefore...all the questions.

Thanks,
Lee

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,444 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

A meta refresh of 0 seconds is treated as a 301 response by both Yahoo and BLM (Bing/Live/MSN) and supposedly the same by Google.

So I would suggest that a meta refresh of any duration is being handled as a 302 response instead by Google.

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,547 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

I found a Webmaster Central blog post by John Mueller (aka JohnMu) in which he recommends not using meta refresh for redirects, but doesn't go so far as to say it won't work:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content=";url=">
This meta tag sends the user to a new URL after a certain amount of time, sometimes used as a simple form of redirection. This kind of redirect is not supported by all browsers and can be confusing to the user. If you need to change the URL of a page as it is shown in search engine results, we recommended that you use a server-side 301 redirect instead. Additionally, W3C's "Techniques and Failures for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0" lists it as being deprecated.

In a forum thread, he wrote:
In general we would like to recommend not using meta refreshes in lieu of a server side 301 redirect. Not only are they generally seen as a bad experience by users, they are also treated differently by the various search engines. If you cannot do a server side redirect, I would recommend grabbing a list of your links from your webmaster tools account and contacting the site owners to change them appropriately. Yes, it is a bit of work, but webmasters are generally happy to comply. You should generally not rely on meta refreshes (or javascript redirects) to be treated the same as server side redirects.

Both statements are over two years old, but I don't see any evidence that the policy has changed since then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!