• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Aspx To Wordpress

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kernelpanic

Kernelpanic

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

I have a site in asp that has a few very competitive #1s. It took me 2 years to gain 1 of the results and I don't want to give it up. The site is being rebuilt in Wordpress and I don't trust Google to push all authority through a 301. So I asked one of the developers to write a plug-in that will rewrite the URL of the new wordpress page to www.mydomain.com/mygreatrankingpage.asp

So it will be a wordpress site with an .asp page. Whaddya think? Will it work or will Google think I am up to something nefarious.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,602 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

I don't see any reason to think that Google would have a problem with a page having a .asp file type, no matter what the CMS might be. If that's all the plugin is changing, you're not doing anything deceptive.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,910 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

It would be fine. But so would a 301 redirect.

#4 Kernelpanic

Kernelpanic

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

Thank you both for the kind reply.
QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 9 2010, 08:00 PM) View Post
It would be fine. But so would a 301 redirect.

Cutts says there is loss of PR through a 301.

"I can certainly see how there could be some loss of PageRank. I am not 100 percent sure whether the crawling and indexing team has implemented that sort of natural PageRank decay, so I will have to go and check on that specific case. (Note: in a follow on email, Matt confirmed that this is in fact the case. There is some loss of PR through a 301)."
www.marketingpilgrim.com/2010/03/google-confirms-301-redirects-result-in-pagerank-loss.html

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,910 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

I know what Cutts says. And it's certainly in his/Google's best interest for people to believe that.

In practice, however, I've worked with many sites over the past year who have changed URLs for one reason or another and used 301 redirects and saw no ill effects from doing so.

#6 Kernelpanic

Kernelpanic

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion.

#7 Dwain Dibley

Dwain Dibley

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

Hi, I have a similar problem but haven't actioned anything yet because of the following.
On 301 redirects the redirects would have to be on all the old pages, if these are all .asp (or .aspx) then your host would have to be able to host both .asp and .php on the same server, so the redirect page can exist online and the new files (in this case php for WordPress). My problem is what if your host doesn't support both on the server? How do you add a redirect to say index.asp to index.php when the .asp page isn't supported?

I do hope that made some sense...

Many thanks

DD

offtopic.gif BTW - haven't posted for months / years, too busy running a web design company which in a roundabout way Jill and a few of the other forum members helped me achieve...

#8 JVRudnick

JVRudnick

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

Jill's right, kernel.....Matt toes "the corporate line" eh....

and as an MS cert guy, who has used .asp and .NET pages and then switched 'em over to fit into WP formats and .php even....

there was NO loss of rankings for the clients we did that for....not a bit even!

biggrin.gif

Jim

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,584 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(Dwain Dibley @ Jul 14 2010, 11:13 AM) View Post
Hi, I have a similar problem but haven't actioned anything yet because of the following.
On 301 redirects the redirects would have to be on all the old pages, if these are all .asp (or .aspx) then your host would have to be able to host both .asp and .php on the same server, so the redirect page can exist online and the new files (in this case php for WordPress). My problem is what if your host doesn't support both on the server? How do you add a redirect to say index.asp to index.php when the .asp page isn't supported?

If the new server where you're running PHP/Wordpress is an Apache server, just use the .htaccess file to redirect the old URLs to the new. You don't need ASP or ASP.net support.

Our massive [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5644]301 redirect thread[/url] has a lot more info on how to set up .htaccess.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#10 Dwain Dibley

Dwain Dibley

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(torka @ Jul 14 2010, 12:47 PM) View Post
If the new server where you're running PHP/Wordpress is an Apache server, just use the .htaccess file to redirect the old URLs to the new. You don't need ASP or ASP.net support.

Our massive [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5644]301 redirect thread[/url] has a lot more info on how to set up .htaccess.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

No I don't think so...hosting is from the UK hosting company (based in Germany?) 1&1...any thoughts on a work around if this is the case?

I might change hosts anyway just so I can make this work... crossfingers.gif

Many thanks

DD

#11 MauriceWalshe

MauriceWalshe

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE(Dwain Dibley @ Jul 15 2010, 05:33 PM) View Post
No I don't think so...hosting is from the UK hosting company (based in Germany?) 1&1...any thoughts on a work around if this is the case?

I might change hosts anyway just so I can make this work... crossfingers.gif

Many thanks

DD

what tld are you on i have had problems with hosting generic domains with 1&1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!