• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Structure, Folders, And Seo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lehi53

lehi53

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

Hello all,

I am new here and am hoping you all have an answer for me. I have searched around and cannot find an answer. My question is regarding subfolders. I just built a website and thought the pages on my site would have a higher PR is they were not lower in the website located in subfolders. But after doing that I thought maybe google uses subfolders to organize content and will give better rankings for specific keywords and phrases if my content is organized in those folders. My website is a soccer site so here is an example.

Lets say I have Three main topics: Soccer drills, How to kick a ball, Soccer Fitness. Is it better to create three sub folders for each of those keyphrases and put all articles related to those topics in those subfolders. Or is it better to skip the subfolders altogether and just have all my articles one level down. I hope that makes sense. And thanks you all for your help.

Taylor

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,447 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:28 AM

thought the pages on my site would have a higher PR is they were not lower in the website located in subfolders.
SGB PR is NOTHING to do with sub-folders, page being "lower in the site" or any such thing!

How you LINK to the pages is what affects PR (for what it's worth)

I thought maybe google uses subfolders to organize content and will give better rankings for specific keywords and phrases if my content is organized in those folders.
Nope!

Lets say I have Three main topics: Soccer drills, How to kick a ball, Soccer Fitness. Is it better to create three sub folders for each of those keyphrases and put all articles related to those topics in those subfolders. Or is it better to skip the subfolders altogether and just have all my articles one level down.

Just do whatever makes most sense to YOU and your site visitors.

How you link the pages in your site will make FAR more difference than URL keywords.

Forget the rubbish about "levels", a page could be 20 folders deep (real or virtual folders) but if you link to it from every page it will be as "important" to SEs as a page in the root folder that is also linked from every page.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

There's no such thing as sub-folders and folders anymore. They're just URLs and they're pretty much all the same to Google.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,547 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

The only benefit a search engine is going to give you for having a page in a particular folder (and it's probably a tiny benefit) is the recognition of the presence of the words in the name of the folder in a page's URL, like domain.com/soccer-fitness/cardio.htm. But you could just as easily get that tiny benefit by giving a page a URL of domain.com/soccer-fitness-cardio.htm.

The real benefit to using folders is that it makes it easier for you to organize your content, and that's only if the site is built in static HTML, which seems to be growing more rare. And because it's becoming more common for people to build sites (even small sites) with content management systems, it makes even less sense for search engines to give a URL that contains slashes any benefit over one that contains hyphens.

As Chris noted, the search engines are going to recognize that one page is more important than others if you link to it more, and from more important pages. If a page has a URL that indicates that it's buried five levels of subdirectories away from the home page, but it's linked to directly from the home page, then the search engines will see that it's one click away from the home page and the number of slashes in its URL won't mean a thing.

You may choose to set up a navigation structure and folder structure that mirror each other. On some sites, that's a perfectly sensible thing to do. That's really a matter of how you choose to structure access to content.

#5 lehi53

lehi53

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Its a good start on the forum to have great help from you all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!