• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Where Are Some Of The Best Places To Put Keywords On A Page?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hi,
I've been a little confused on the best places to put keywords on a page. I'm assuming the title tag and description tag are good places, but other than are there any other solid places to put your keywords? I also use my keywords in <H1> tags as well. Any advice is very appreciated. :-)

Thank you.

#2 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

You have to watch that you don't over-optimize, trying to analyze each little detail such as how many words, how often, where do they go.

Every website is different depending on it's audience, content, subject and focus. People used to promote putting relevant text at the top of the page, in the first paragraph but the search engines have gotten good enough at spidering that anywhere in your page should be fine.

There is no secret SEO formula we are hiding.

Put your keywords in your pages where it would be natural for readers to find them, surrounded by other text relevant to your website content. They should flow with the content naturally, rather than being placed here and there where they don't make sense or are unnaturally repeated.

Plenty of people write articles saying A-B-C, 1-2-3, there you go, now you are an SEO. mf_tongue.gif It doesn't work that way. Your site content is the key to your success, and if you don't have any, chances are you aren't going far without a large advertising budget.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

Does this help?

The Art of SEO

#4 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 5 2010, 10:26 AM) View Post
Does this help?

The Art of SEO

I think I've read all the articles on this site. LOL That helps some as it is basically a good SEO general practice article, but it's a little vague to tell you the truth on the question I wanted answered.

I've actually done a little looking around at the various admins and mods websites on this forum and believe it or not you'll find some of those people on their on sites say there are some good places to put keywords, etc. in copy. But of course they never tell you where. I guess that is the bread and butter of the business and why they never say where?!! LOL

I know from the late 90's etc. that was true as I am still in the web design business yet SEO has changed since then, but I'm not as great at SEO as I am at design. However, most sites I've every done and optimized have done decent in the search engines. They may not have made it to page one all the time, but I'll generally find the website pages anywhere from page 2-5 or so, give or take a few pages.

I think my lack of understanding of the best places to use keywords and knowing exactly which ones to use for my keywords has hurt me the most. But alas, I'll keep working on it. :-)

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,112 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:02 AM

You have to watch that you don't over-optimize
You cannot "over optimise"! The definition of the word optimise it "make it be the best that it can".

The phrase "over optimising" is simply a euphemism for "keyword stuffing", and to fall foul of search engines with this, you have to go a LONG way beyond making the pages look ridiculous for users.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:51 AM

I think my lack of understanding of the best places to use keywords

There's no best places.

The Title tag of course, is the most important.

After that, you just need to use them within the content where it makes sense to do so, and also in anchor text links that point back to the page that's optimized for the phrase.

No magic secrets, really!

#7 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:17 AM

You cannot "over optimise"! The definition of the word optimise it "make it be the best that it can".

Good point, searchme.gif a better term, especially in this case might be over analyze.

That was considering the term over optimizing as going too far...to try to make a site the best it can be...and then push it even farther, by over analyzing/manipulating everything and doing too much. But in reality the site is then no longer optimized, it is simply manipulated.

Maybe that is a better term, try not to over manipulate your site.

you just need to use them within the content where it makes sense to do so

No doubt! Aren't you ultimately creating web pages for human visitors?

#8 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 6 2010, 07:51 AM) View Post
There's no best places.

The Title tag of course, is the most important.

After that, you just need to use them within the content where it makes sense to do so, and also in anchor text links that point back to the page that's optimized for the phrase.

No magic secrets, really!

I really, really need to get your website review service. I need to get some more donations on my ministry site and then I'm going to try to get with you on this. I'm about ready to bang my head on a rock. LOL

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

You will likely not find any secrets in the review service either. Nothing more than we say here all the time.

#10 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 7 2010, 06:23 PM) View Post
You will likely not find any secrets in the review service either. Nothing more than we say here all the time.

Then I'll probably save my money then. LOL

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,112 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE(Catz @ Jul 7 2010, 07:17 AM) View Post
Good point, searchme.gif a better term, especially in this case might be over analyze.

That was considering the term over optimizing as going too far...to try to make a site the best it can be...and then push it even farther, by over analyzing/manipulating everything and doing too much. But in reality the site is then no longer optimized, it is simply manipulated.

Maybe that is a better term, try not to over manipulate your site.

That's it in a nutshell

You should be able to read a page that is well optimised for Search and not even notice that it has been "optimised", it should flow naturaly while making emphasis on salient points (key phrases).

Optimising pages for PPC is a little different, because there you ARE manipulating the reader into doing what you want them to do.

Search is a "soft sell" where you are drawing the person in to your clutches and suggesting just how much they would benefit from having one on these.

PPC is the hard "sell" where you are telling them " You KNOW you want one, so just go ahead and BUY the bloody thing"!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!