Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

 



Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

 



 

 www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!



Photo

Turning Down New Prospects


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

    HR 4

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Location:USA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

We had a request for a quote on SEM that included social networking, YouTube vids, SEO...the works.

In order to scope the job properly, I sent the client a questionnaire asking about all the essential stuff: target market, uniqueness of product, staff available to be trained at good social networking if required, etc...

He returned it with 70% of the questions unanswered, and the remaining 30% badly answered.

At this point, I feel inclined to blow the job off. One of my SEO friends says rather take the job on and do what you can. After all, they pay the same either way.

Am I being too picky...to want to not do a job unless you can do it properly?

Edited by Say Yebo, 01 July 2010 - 10:26 AM.


#2 Jill

Jill

    Recovering SEO

  • Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

You're not being too picky.

If you take a job where the client is committed to it, you're bound to fail and or spend more time than the client is paying.

Go with your instincts. If it doesn't feel right, don't take it.

You really do lose money on those types of clients. I've seen it time and time again.

#3 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

    HR 4

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Location:USA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

Thanks Jill,

Glad to see I'm not totally alone in that. I'm interested in hearing other opinions too...wondering if anyone has success nurturing an unco-operative client.

Caro


#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

    HR 10

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts
  • Location:Georgia

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

If you get a queasy feeling in your belly before you've even signed the contract, don't take the contract. I'll admit I learned that the hard way (even though it was advice I had heard all my life).

Trust your gut instincts. They don't seem to be as easily swayed by emotion, passion, ambition, financial distress, or other alarming influences as easily as your rational deliberations.


#5 nicolebeckett

nicolebeckett

    HR 1

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Location:Texas

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Definitely trust your gut, but maybe you should give him 1 more chance to answer the questions. You don't want his being in a hurry, or distracted when he got the questionnaire, to keep you from making the money. If you politely explain that him filling out everything will make it easier for you to help him (and give him better results), he may listen. If not, then I agree, don't waste your time. If you can't do it right, why do it at all?

#6 rolf

rolf

    HR 6

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Location:Suffolk UK

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

Your gut is probably right, but you have little to loose by giving them another chance to change your mind before making a final decision.

#7 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

    HR 4

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Location:USA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(rolf @ Jul 1 2010, 06:04 PM) View Post
Your gut is probably right, but you have little to loose by giving them another chance to change your mind before making a final decision.


Thanks everyone. I emailed him back and explained why I needed all the info I asked for.

He quickly got back to me with a revised brief...said he realized that he was probably getting ahead of himself by asking for 'the works'. Now it's a standard website SEO project.

#8 Mooro

Mooro

    HR 4

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Location:Loughborough, Leicestershire

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:32 AM

First impressions are one to avoid.

Turning down work from bad clients makes sense.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!
 
If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!