• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Can You Review My Site?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

What do you mean by "a lead-generation service"?

You get paid by the leads you provide to the rehab centers.

#17 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

However, you're still running a lead-generation service, right? That's a very fine line to be walking. Your new site may eventually find itself similarly penalized.

So I do not understand why a site like mine should penalized for the business we do? We are a helpline. 95% of the people who called us we help them for free and we are not paid by these rehabs!

I never saw in the guidelines of Google that if you have a site that let say refer to insurance company but you are not an insurance company. You violate Google guidelines unless there is something Michael you know and I don't!

If it is so let me know!

#18 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

It's not penalized for being a lead gen service. It may not even be penalized at all.

It's just a site that is full of duplicate content that doesn't fulfill the search queries you want it to.

You can be mad about it, or you can rework it.

Since you already have another site that does the same thing, that could also be part of the problem.

#19 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 9 2010, 12:52 PM) View Post
Since you already have another site that does the same thing, that could also be part of the problem.

I've my old site now bought up to speed with everything I can stock, a site a year old with a subsection of content and another site six months old with a lesser subsection still.

I get a buzz when I see all three sites in the first page for a search term. Not often but it does happen on the longer long tail terms.

I am naturally relucant to give that buzz up and all three roads point to one conversion aim, buy!

However it is three sites and I am duplicating content, from what you suggest above would I be better off if I were to 301 all the traffic from the two other sites through to the relevant pages on the most historic and best ranking site?

I can see it would throw all the relevancy and rank on just the one site and in theory boost it's position but am loathed to get rid of the other two sites that sometimes rank along side it.

I know MC says one is better than two but I'm torn in making the final decision.

Know why it could be a part of the problem would help me stop procrastinating!

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:17 AM

However it is three sites and I am duplicating content, from what you suggest above would I be better off if I were to 301 all the traffic from the two other sites through to the relevant pages on the most historic and best ranking site?

I wouldn't necessarily say you'd be better off. Having 3 pages all rank for one keyword is definitely sweet for you.

It's just not appreciated by the search engines. So if you were to redirect them, it would be more of a proactive thing to avoid any problems down the line.

Definitely not something I could recommend or not recommend to you. I'm somewhat of the camp to let sleeping dogs lie. But on the other hand, if the big G decides you were trying to deceive you could get trounced with all sites.

I guess it depends on whether each site really does serve a different purpose and different target audience. If they do that, then definitely leave them. If they don't, then you have some decisions to make.

#21 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 9 2010, 09:17 AM) View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say you'd be better off. Having 3 pages all rank for one keyword is definitely sweet for you.

It's just not appreciated by the search engines. So if you were to redirect them, it would be more of a proactive thing to avoid any problems down the line.

Definitely not something I could recommend or not recommend to you. I'm somewhat of the camp to let sleeping dogs lie. But on the other hand, if the big G decides you were trying to deceive you could get trounced with all sites.

I guess it depends on whether each site really does serve a different purpose and different target audience. If they do that, then definitely leave them. If they don't, then you have some decisions to make.

You are right on that Jill, about 4 years ago. I had 2 sites ranking for the same keywords position 1 and 2 and they both got penalized and a few weeks after they got one site back to the top and the other one is still penalized even after these years.

#22 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(Marchy @ Jul 9 2010, 07:21 AM) View Post
You are right on that Jill, about 4 years ago. I had 2 sites ranking for the same keywords position 1 and 2 and they both got penalized and a few weeks after they got one site back to the top and the other one is still penalized even after these years.

Something else you may want to consider is whether you are creating a "behavior profile" that Google has noticed. If all your sites are registered under one name and you have multiple sites receiving penalties over the years, you may pop up on Google's radar from time to time.

Many people respond to this concern by using anonymous domain registration (aka proxy domain registration). However, last year the U.S. 9th District Court ruled that domain registration by proxy constitutes "material falsification". That doesn't mean everyone will go to jail or have to pay a fine but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

I do, actually, have a few domains registered through proxies several years ago. I tried to unproxy them when they came up for renewal last week and was unable to do so. Apparently, once you proxy, you have to stay proxied. I may have to sell those domains to myself or something in order to unproxy them.

Anyway, my point is that perhaps you should be looking a little further beyond the one site, if you have been incurring penalties on other sites.

#23 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

Thanks Michael, I do not own the other site that was penalized. Also what I do now is to build websites for different topics in my field to avoid this. I have a site on alcohol, heroin, drug in general and also some locations like the main province in Canada with addiction. It addresses different public and keywords. In my field a lot of people try to do these similar sites in the same keywords and pretty much got all penalized.

#24 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:21 PM

Thank you from me too!

I've just applied 301 redirects on to the two sites with content I'm carrying on what I now consider my primary URL.

I'd decided against it, then my mind went for it tonight when I looked at some actual figures and what appears to be indexed.

As Jill suggested I've gone down the pro active route, I want to avoid issues in the future, I've taken a massive strain off the server as Google will no longer be spidering millions of duplicate pages, that'll make the primary site faster still plus it converts better and has a much nicer vibe to it.

Big benefit for me, only one front end to develop!

I've just been taking another look at drug-rehab.ca - there's one thing that springs to mind.....

There's no reference of INTERNET ADDICTION?

Surely that is a growing niche that could be exploited to gain some rankings back with some original fresh content?

#25 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(Mooro @ Jul 13 2010, 07:21 PM) View Post
I've just applied 301 redirects on to the two sites with content I'm carrying on what I now consider my primary URL.

I am wondering if doing a 301 with a penalized website if it can negatively affect the site it will be redirected to?

Because that would probably my best option if there are no risks to it.

QUOTE(Mooro @ Jul 13 2010, 07:21 PM) View Post
I've just been taking another look at drug-rehab.ca - there's one thing that springs to mind.....

There's no reference of INTERNET ADDICTION?

Surely that is a growing niche that could be exploited to gain some rankings back with some original fresh content?

You are right internet addiction would be a good niche and the same with gambling etc. It is hard too give a good service to people if you are to spread around. This is why I decided to to stay with drugs and alcohol addiction only. We can give the best possible service.

#26 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

I am wondering if doing a 301 with a penalized website if it can negatively affect the site it will be redirected to?

Don't know for sure, but I would guess that yes, it could negatively affect things. Although competitors could redirect their penalized stuff to you too, so maybe not.

#27 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 14 2010, 08:09 AM) View Post
Don't know for sure, but I would guess that yes, it could negatively affect things. Although competitors could redirect their penalized stuff to you too, so maybe not.

You are right. It is probably 50-50.I cannot really take that chance and end up penalized.

#28 MaryKrysia

MaryKrysia

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

I looked through your web site and found it baffling. It's not readily apparent you provide a referral service for treatments for drug addiction. Although there is a telephone number clearly displayed, the reason why someone should call you is hard to find. My guess is that many people would get frustrated with trying to find information about treatment centers and move on to the next web site. I suggest creating larger header text with clear a clear Call to Action, such as, "Call Us Now for . . . "

The on-page text is filled with information but I wonder how useful it is for someone looking for drug treatment in Canada. Looking at your site pretending to be someone looking for help, I became lost in a lot of only vaguely relevant information that lead nowhere. Balancing keyword text and good information for your visitors is a real art. I would revise the content to be more useful. It might help you in the search engines as well.

#29 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(Marchy @ Jul 13 2010, 07:19 PM) View Post

I have read about two people who claimed they redirected penalized sites to unpenalized sites and saw the unpenalized sites become penalized. I am not aware of any other situations like this. I suspect that most people who operate penalized sites (with knowledge) don't share much about their experiences openly.

#30 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Jul 14 2010, 02:10 PM) View Post
I have read about two people who claimed they redirected penalized sites to unpenalized sites and saw the unpenalized sites become penalized. I am not aware of any other situations like this. I suspect that most people who operate penalized sites (with knowledge) don't share much about their experiences openly.

You are yight it is not a good idea and it would be a great risks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!