• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Can You Review My Site?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

My site www.drug-rehab.ca.

I got a penalty last April from Google where my site was pretty much Number 1 on all the major keywords in my field and it end up between page 4-6.

Since I have done everything that I could think of to get that penalty removed.

- Rewrite the full content. It is all unique no duplicate from any pages
- When it happen I sent an email to every person I exchanged links to and got them to removed them. I did the same on my part.
- I redesigned my whole site
-Changed server
I removed a whole section of my site that the content was not really good. PHP database that had duplicate content.
-I removed any outbound links from the site.
and more.......

I have 4 reconsideration for reinclusion to Google. After every major changes, I was sending a reconsideration.

Now that site was number 1 for almost 3 years so it was not just an accident that it ended up first.

So if anyone has any idea please let me know!

General
Is this site completed or under construction? This site is completed

If completed:
How long has the site been up? This site has been up since 2004

SEO
Do you have incoming links? Yes Webmaster tools gives me 2667 on index page this is besides the inner pages. Yahoo explorer gives over 1200.

What keywords are you targeting? Drug rehab, drug rehabilitation mainly and some other smaller keywords. Our field is good with keywords with a location. People wants a location when they go to treatment.

Do you want your code reviewed for errors or improvements? No

Marketing
Who is your target audience? Think about: 18 and over
Gender All
Nationality All
Age Range 18 and over
Income/Education level N/A
Likes/Dislikes

The more you tell us about your target audience, the better. We don't know them- you do! Most of the time we do get calls from people who needs help for treatment but by family members or friends who cares about the person and see them going off the rails.

Why is your site different from sites selling/offering similar info/goods/services? Why will someone want to do business you? Because we have caring counselors 18 hours a day on the phone and we are a free service.

How important is usability? It has to be simple because most people who uses it are not computer literate and also they are really nervous because they are in a crisis or they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It has to be simple.

What is the purpose of the site? (inform, sell, online community, support B&M business, contact info only, etc) It is a free helpline and we refer people to treatment. It also gives a lot of information.

Design
Do you want design suggestions? yes but not as important as if anyone as any idea of the penalty! The only thing left to do is a logo. This is a new design I finished last week. It is a joomla website.

#2 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

anyone?

#3 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

<meta name="keywords" content="joomla, Joomla" />

ot: 4% of the world smoke weed, yeah and the rest......

What penalty? Why? Undo what you did to get it in the first place would be the most logical thing to suggest?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

There is nothing to the site.

If I go there and try to find a drug rehab facility, there doesn't appear to be one. It's just a bunch of pages that talk about the provinces of canada.

You don't seem to actually be a drug rehab center. Why would Google want to show this site for queries of that nature?

#5 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

I don't know why you are saying this!!!
If you go to the index page it says "Addiction Services is a no cost drug and alcohol rehab center referral agency for addiction treatments all across Canada. " so of course we are not a treatment center" and of course we will cover all the provinces.

It says that on every pages! so anyone that read a page will know that we are a referral agency!

Thanks anyway guys!

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

I clicked on Quebec, and got a page that told me the history of Quebec. It wasn't about a drug rehab place in Quebec.

And it in fact had duplicate content from other sites who wanted to discuss how lovely Quebec was.

Since your site isn't actually a drug rehab center, but a drug rehab referral site, shouldn't you be optimizing for keywords more along those lines?

#7 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 6 2010, 03:21 PM) View Post
Since your site isn't actually a drug rehab center, but a drug rehab referral site, shouldn't you be optimizing for keywords more along those lines?

We optimize for drug rehab because we refer people to drug rehab centers. It is also optimize for helpline, referral, etc. When someone or a family member needs help they will put keywords like "drug rehab " with a location. When it was not penalized. This site was getting 1000 phone calls or emails a week! I think it is well optimized for our field. We were able to help a lot of people and families with addiction problems.

The problem I found with these penalties is this. If I tell my kids that they will not use their PS3 for a week and I do not tell them why. They would be really confused. This is the same with these penalties.

Anyway, I have a new site now that I built and it is starting to produce as well as this one. I am not worried. It is just frustrating to not know what was wrong. I did so much things to correct it but it is still penalized!

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

It looks to me like your site (a classic lead generation site) has been classified as not being very relevant to what searchers want.

I don't find much on-page use of the terms you seem to be "optimizing" for so I'll hazard the guess you were probably relying upon links for most of your relevance scoring.

Maybe your site really isn't penalized. Maybe it just lost the value of those links. It could be that if the links were purchased you were identified as a link buyer and penalized but quite often I find that people who are depending on links find themselves buried under more relevant content when they lose their links (or their links stop passing value).

So the first thing I would consider for your site is how each page is relevant to the topic it supposedly addresses.

That includes use of the primary keyword in the copy, the relevance of the information provided in the text to the primary keyword, and the relevance of the signup form to the keyword.

Your copy really offers no compelling reason to anyone to believe that the site is offering actual information about rehab services in the city. It's all "fluff" content in the sense that it talks in very generic terms.

Many lead generation site operators have complained about this sort of lost search visibility over the years as the search engine adjust their algorithms.

I think you need to revamp your copy to be more specifically about the services offered in each city; and I think you need to customize the form so that it's clear to users that they are being asked to engage in a two-step process.

#9 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

This is really funny because when the site got penalized I thought that one of the reason was it was for "too much Optimization" or for too much keyword stuffing! So I decided to get the pages done that way it would be more general so I do not think it is the reason but who knows.

Thanks for your inputs guys!

#10 scouseflip

scouseflip

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

Dunno if this would be relevant, but I noticed that quite a bit of your copy is also used on handful of other sites. For example a search on Google for a section of your page about Mushroom Addiction (see here)

Could that be a factor? Not dupe content within your site, rather with other sites?

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

Right, that was something I mentioned above as well.

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(Marchy @ Jul 6 2010, 07:23 PM) View Post
This is really funny because when the site got penalized I thought that one of the reason was it was for "too much Optimization" or for too much keyword stuffing! So I decided to get the pages done that way it would be more general so I do not think it is the reason but who knows.

Thanks for your inputs guys!

You made an assumption that you were unable to substantiate (or refute). I can only look at a copy of your site from 2008 through Archive.Org. I don't see anything wrong with the 2008 copy from a search engine perspective, although I did not check for duplicate content.

Fixing a site when you don't know what is wrong may only introduce additional problems. At this point you have weakly relevant copy that doesn't provide much useful information to your visitors. Why should a search engine want to promote that content to the top of its results?

It's like you're covering up the real issue with more issues. They'll only serve as red herrings for people trying to help you. I think if you can do a rollback that may work better for seeking advice and analysis. If the site was penalized the rollback may not help you in the short run. Alternatively, you could upload the old site to a subdomain and block crawlers from it.

As far as the current site design goes, in my opinion it is not competitive. You may be able to overcome that disadvantage with a powerful link campaign but I think you would do better to figure out a strong content strategy.

#13 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Michael for your input. It always comes down to the same thing is that you don't why you are being penalized so You go with what you think is wrong. Now if the site is still penalized I do not think it was because of the changes I have made after the penalty because it would have been out of the penalty.

I have started a new site months ago and is doing really well. This is really funny because a lot of the stuff that you guys were saying as negative is not on the the new one. Every content is copyscape checked. There is a list of all the addiction facilities in Canada including AA meetings and NA meetings.

I also add one page a day of good new content.

So I should be good on a long term basis with that site!

#14 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(Marchy @ Jul 8 2010, 12:53 PM) View Post
Thanks Michael for your input. It always comes down to the same thing is that you don't why you are being penalized so You go with what you think is wrong. Now if the site is still penalized I do not think it was because of the changes I have made after the penalty because it would have been out of the penalty.

It doesn't work that way, but I'm not saying any current penalty (if one exists) is due to what your site is currently doing. What I am saying is that your current site design seems to offer nothing of value so it's not going to offer a compelling alternative to the penalty.

Google penalties may last only a few weeks or a few years, according to anecdotal evidence from many people who have incurred them. The worst I ever saw was applied to the Spider-food forum (which no longer exists for entirely unrelated reasons). J.K. Bowman never filed a reinclusion request and the hidden divs he had used were removed several years before the penalty expired. If I recall correctly, the penalty lasted about 4 years.

I have started a new site months ago and is doing really well. This is really funny because a lot of the stuff that you guys were saying as negative is not on the the new one. Every content is copyscape checked. There is a list of all the addiction facilities in Canada including AA meetings and NA meetings.

I also add one page a day of good new content.

So I should be good on a long term basis with that site!

Maybe. Then again, you still don't know what went wrong with the first site. History is filled with repetitive mistakes. Whatever you did may have been entirely innocent on your part. I occasionally see innocent sites blocked by Google but not very often.

However, you're still running a lead-generation service, right? That's a very fine line to be walking. Your new site may eventually find itself similarly penalized.

Or six years from now you might look back on this conversation and say, "Well, nothing happened after all."

The takeaway here is that you really haven't learned why your site tanked in the first place, so you should be careful NOT to assume it won't happen again with a new site.

#15 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Jul 8 2010, 04:08 PM) View Post
However, you're still running a lead-generation service, right? That's a very fine line to be walking. Your new site may eventually find itself similarly penalized.

What do you mean by "a lead-generation service"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!