• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Are The Best Seos Outside-the-box Thinkers?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

I know someone who is very successful in his field (and who admitted that he isn't good at outside-the-box thinking) said he doesn't know of many actually successful people who are good at the outside-the-box creativity thing.

I've heard more than once that the best SEOs typically are outside-the-box thinkers.

Actually, I would assume that it's extremely helpful in marketing in general if it helps the person come up with marketing techniques that aren't overused (as everyone is using them already), yet. Link building techniques come to mind. Or of course Michael Martinez' idea of not obsessing about the link building thing and building a new query space is something I'd consider outside-the-box.

What are your observations?

#2 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

There is no question that the best web marketers are able to think at tangents, problem soplvers, people who can look at a problem, map it, and come up with a solution.

So the answer is yes. IMO smile.gif

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,729 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

That's a YES from me also

(so you just need another yes to be through to the next round) biggrin.gif

#4 MauriceWalshe

MauriceWalshe

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

maybe at a SEO conference they could put a group of seos through the Belbin Team Roles and see if ther are any particular types that dominate

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

I suspect most SEOs stay closer to those boundaries than the average person imagines. Good SEOs take what works and use it wisely. There isn't much need for creativity whenever a large community is sharing creativity on a massive scale.

Just mastering the fundamentals can take people anywhere from six months to several years (depending on whether you're being trained or learning it on your own). In my opinion, all of the best SEO bloggers are sharing fundamental advice 99% of the time. They're not trying to be "cutting edge thinkers" or impress people with amazing ideas. They're trying to grow with the medium, and that may seem tedious and mundane but it's really the approach that assures the most long-term success in this field.

So, while you need to be able to look at problems from different perspectives (in order to be the worthy outside expert people bring in to solve their problems) you really need to just be well-grounded in the basics and the intermediate stuff. That doesn't require you to produce a Masterpiece on every project.

The best SEOs don't limit their growth but they don't forget their roots.

#6 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hm, interesting. I would agree that often mastering the basics is a lot bigger than trying to do creative, wild stuff,etc. (I'm a basketball fan, and in basketball simply improving at the fundamentals helps a lot more than trying to do fancy dribbles (any good defender simply watches the offensive player's body and tries to stay in front of it, as the ball cant move around him without the offensive player's body)).

However, I think outside the box thinking is important when it comes to solving problems. I think a problem is often a problem (for most people) because theyre conventional thinking doesnt solve the problem. Thus it takes someone who thinks differently than them to hopefully come up with a solution. I think this isnt just theoretical garbage lol, but think ive seen that in the real world many times.

So for example, if many SEOs were going after a highly competitive keyword and trying to rank for it, most of them would leverage the fundamentals to build decent links for that keyword, but in the end the creative guy might be the one who comes up with additional (effective) ideas to build links for that keyword.

Not the case? or is it?

(Sorry for talking about link building again wink1.gif, but as i mentioned i think your idea of thinking outside the link building box would be a great example, too)

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

So for example, if many SEOs were going after a highly competitive keyword and trying to rank for it, most of them would leverage the fundamentals to build decent links for that keyword, but in the end the creative guy might be the one who comes up with additional (effective) ideas to build links for that keyword.

Not the case? or is it?

I would say that is highly likely to be true. At least in a perfect world! smile.gif

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

In practice, the SEO's box should be larger than the typical end-user's box. That's the way it is in any relationship of expert-to-client/end-user.

#9 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

@Jill:

Does that mean you think it would only be true in a highly theoretical world, but not in practice?LOL...or do you really think that it is true?

I've had enough experiences with people who have great ideas in theory, but forget to look at the real world to see that their ideas are clearly way off. I dont wanna be one of them!

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

Does that mean you think it would only be true in a highly theoretical world, but not in practice?

Sort of.

It means that it's what should happen if Google were a perfect search engine.

But they're not there yet.

#11 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 2 2010, 10:06 PM) View Post
Sort of.

It means that it's what should happen if Google were a perfect search engine.

But they're not there yet.

am confused, now... lol then again this is not the most important thread anyway lol

#12 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

SEO's have to think way outside the box your average web developer/graphic designer who builds websites is trapped inside, that's for sure. When you have a good combination of all these skills, you do see the world through different eyes.

It takes a special person to have an interest in figuring out how a site performs as opposed to simply how it looks. Not just how it ranks (sorry guys), but how it performs. Of course I am referring to those with a real interest in learning (and sharing) everything they can about SEO over a period of several years, keeping up with changes and staying current rather than being an "article" SEO.

Those who simply decide to add SEO to the list of services they offer, as an add on for customers after hearing about it or reading a few articles tend to be more dangerous than anything. They want a list of steps to follow and get frustrated when they can't get it. They are certainly trapped in a box.

Of course we have our basics we know to apply but I think those who have a love of the game do tend to think outside the box. victory.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!