• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Which Is More Important Site Authority Or Page Authority

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lesterj

lesterj

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Hey everyone,

I've been working on some link building and am trying to focus on getting some links from more authoritative sites. My question is whether it's more valuable to get a link on an established page on a medium level site or a less established page (or new page) on a high level site. I know any link is good, but I'm curious which is more valuable.

For example:
Which would be more valuable. A link on a PR3 page of a PR4 site, a link on a PR1 page of a PR6 site, or a new page on a PR6 site.

Please note, I'm only using PageRank for the sake of the example. I understand that toolbar PR is not all that trust worthy.

Thanks.

LesterJ

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

What exactly do you mean by a medium level site or a high level site?

The PageRank of the actual page that your link is on (not toolbar PR but real PR) is what matters. The PR of the home page has nothing (necessarily) to do with the PR that will pass to your site if you get a link.

For instance, the home page of a site might have a PR of 4, but if they're not even linking to the page from the home page or many other pages from the site, the page your link is on will have very little PageRank to pass to you.

#3 lesterj

lesterj

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for your reply.

By high and medium level, I'm referring to the strength or link value of the page or site, the PageRank (essentially). I've seen that some people consider PageRank when considering the link value of the page, others refer to authority, and others refer to trust. I was trying to avoid a discussion about which method of determining the page/site's link value and stay general so as to get at the real point of the question.

One of the concepts I've read about is that the search engines consider certain sites to have a lot of authority and trust. That would usually be represented by a high PageRank. Some extreme examples of sites with a lot of authority and trust would be Google (PR10), CNN(PR10), and Cisco(PR9). These are really high authority sites and getting a link from one would probably be a pipe-dream form most sites, but the idea is that the domain is given more weight by the search engines because they are established, trusted, authoritative sites.

So, if in some crazy dream world (for the sake of an extreme example) Google decided that they would link to my site, but they were going to do it by creating a new page with some content on it and a link to my site. Seeing that the page is new, it wouldn't have any PageRank. It also wouldn't have any links to it, except for whatever way Google linked to it from within Google. The page itself would have no real link value, but the site/domain is an extremely authoritative and trusted site/domain. Would that link be a valuable link to have or would it be just as valuable as getting a link from a new page on some weak, no name site? Similarly, would I be better off getting a link from some PR2 site's homepage?

I hope that better explains what I'm getting at.

Thanks.

LesterJ

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

My opinion is same as what I posted above.

A link, even from a highly trusted authority site, is not going to be all that valuable if it's buried deeply within the site so that the page it's on itself doesn't have a lot of weight/PR/whatever.

It's where the link is places that is important, imo.

#5 lesterj

lesterj

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Thanks Jill,

BTW - You mentioned PR before and distinguished between Google Toolbar PR and real PR. Do you have a method of determining what the real PR is?

Thanks.

LesterJ

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

Do you have a method of determining what the real PR is?

Nope. Only Google knows what it is.

#7 lesterj

lesterj

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

I figured as much, but I thought I'd ask just in case you had a magic Google 8-ball or something.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!