• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Destination Url And Quality Score

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wood1e

wood1e

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

Hi

This is a bit of a two parter, so apologies for that :)

I am working on my adword campaign and I am looking at Quality Scores and Destination URL.

1) Would there be substantial benefits getting your website pages up from 7/10 Quality Score to 8/10 or even higher?
2) What is The Destination URL actually for? As I set the destination URL when I set up the advert for that keyword?

Is this so I can have differenet URLs for each keyword? no matter what URL I used to set up the advert initially?

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:22 AM

Hi wood1e

QUOTE(wood1e)
1) Would there be substantial benefits getting your website pages up from 7/10 Quality Score to 8/10 or even higher?

Yes, you would need to bid approximately 12.5% less in order to keep your ads in the same position (all other things remaining equal); or, alternatively, you may achieve a higher position and therefore higher click volumes without bidding more.

QUOTE(wood1e)
2) What is The Destination URL actually for? As I set the destination URL when I set up the advert for that keyword?

Every ad must have a working destination URL. This can be over-ridden at the keyword level. The ad's destination URL is used:
  1. when the keyword has no destination URL (often the case) or
  2. when there is no keyword, e.g. the content network is in use.

#3 wood1e

wood1e

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE(Alan Perkins @ Jun 29 2010, 03:22 AM) View Post
Hi wood1e

Yes, you would need to bid approximately 12.5% less in order to keep your ads in the same position (all other things remaining equal); or, alternatively, you may achieve a higher position and therefore higher click volumes without bidding more.

Every ad must have a working destination URL. This can be over-ridden at the keyword level. The ad's destination URL is used:
  1. when the keyword has no destination URL (often the case) or
  2. when there is no keyword, e.g. the content network is in use.

Many thanks for that, although it does lead to more questions smile.gif

1) I will work on the quality score...more learning

2) I therefore presume it is better to have a destination URL for every keyword, especially if there is a specific page for that keyword? Unfortunately there is not a specific page for each product!!

If we placed a specific URL for each keyword, would this effect any of the keywords we have on rotation?

#4 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

I therefore presume it is better to have a destination URL for every keyword, especially if there is a specific page for that keyword?

In theory, yes. In practice, Google is unlikely to check the landing page quality of millions of keyword-level URLs each of which has a low number of impressions/clicks. I would pay more attention to your ad group URLs than your keywords URLs, and try to keep ad groups small and tightly focused to minimise the differences between - or even the need for - separate ad group and keyword URLs. Not saying I agree with this approach, but this seems to be the way Google is pushing things. They have made a system that is very powerful in theory, but their back end appears to be incapable of keeping up with that theory. Rather than just admit that outright, they instead put practices in place which force you to operate in such a way (if you want to be successful) that their systems can keep up.

If we placed a specific URL for each keyword, would this effect any of the keywords we have on rotation?

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by this. smile.gif

#5 wood1e

wood1e

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

Sorry about that, what I meant was that we have

Within one group we two ads with different headlines and landing pages but the same keywords. And so these are set to rotate for split testing.

So will this be effected by the keyword level URL destination?

#6 wood1e

wood1e

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

Sorry I think I am going nuts...if I place a keyword specific URL destination then these will override the Advert URLs....Sorry there was no need to ask the question in the first place!! smile.gif

#7 wood1e

wood1e

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(Alan Perkins @ Jun 29 2010, 07:58 AM) View Post
In theory, yes. In practice, Google is unlikely to check the landing page quality of millions of keyword-level URLs each of which has a low number of impressions/clicks. I would pay more attention to your ad group URLs than your keywords URLs, and try to keep ad groups small and tightly focused to minimise the differences between - or even the need for - separate ad group and keyword URLs. Not saying I agree with this approach, but this seems to be the way Google is pushing things. They have made a system that is very powerful in theory, but their back end appears to be incapable of keeping up with that theory. Rather than just admit that outright, they instead put practices in place which force you to operate in such a way (if you want to be successful) that their systems can keep up.

Ok many thanks for this

Although once again you great answer has left me thinking, as we are looking to group product sectors into adgroups, as you say to keep things small...and now you are saying there is another way?

Which I presume Google isn't keeping up with? Or is there some more interesting going on? smile.gif

#8 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE(wood1e @ Jun 29 2010, 02:30 PM) View Post
Ok many thanks for this

Although once again you great answer has left me thinking, as we are looking to group product sectors into adgroups, as you say to keep things small...and now you are saying there is another way?

Which I presume Google isn't keeping up with? Or is there some more interesting going on? smile.gif

There are lots of ways, but as Google might say "There's my way or the high way", where "high" is the price you will have to bid if you don't want to do it how they want you to do it. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!