• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Href And Title Attributes: Same Or Different For Best Seo?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ThingsAtHome

ThingsAtHome

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hi Guys.

This is my first post after just having watched the brilliant SEO course on Lynda.com. Thanks for such an informative introduction to SEO; I'm really looking forward to overhauling the existing SEO on our site and hopefully improving our relevance for our customers.

I have what is probably a pretty basic question. smile.gif

When using href tags, is it better to have the title attribute set the same as the name of the link, or should it use a different keyword phrase? For example, which of the following would you consider to be the best SEO?

<a href="http://www.thingsath...om/blogs/news/" title="Come on over to our home, craft and cooking blog!">Come on over to our home, craft and cooking blog!</a>

<a href="http://www.thingsath...om/blogs/news/" title="Our craftzine and homewares blog!">Come on over to our home, craft and cooking blog!</a>

Any and all advice gratefully received!

Charlee x

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hi Charlee, glad you liked the Lynda course!

As to your question, since the search engines ignore the information contained in the Title Attribute of links, it makes no difference to them how you do it.

Hope this helps!

(BTW, I fixed your signature to conform with Forum Rules.)

#3 ThingsAtHome

ThingsAtHome

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

Great, thanks so much Jill! Apologies for the signature faux-pas. smile.gif

#4 VinceSutton

VinceSutton

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Personally i use both tag.... TITLE and ALT tag for my link and images.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,840 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:52 AM

ATTRIBUTES!! not "tags"

http://www.candsdesi...tes-and-values/

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(VinceSutton @ Jul 10 2010, 05:30 PM) View Post
Personally i use both tag.... TITLE and ALT tag for my link and images.

You're welcome to use them, but the image title attribute has zero SEO influence.

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,614 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

I only use the title attribute on the rare occasion that I want a tooltip. IE is the only browser that displays the alt attribute in a little popup (although I know some people use a Firefox extension that causes it to do the same thing), but all of the browsers I know of do that with the title attribute, and IE will display the title rather than the alt if it's present.

But as I said, it's something I rarely do, because I find that few links and/or images really call for a little tooltip to pop up. I only use it when I want the user to have some information about what they're about to click, like if I'm linking to a page that's in another language. If you're using the alt attribute properly, I don't see why you'd want to copy it into the title, because I don't see why you'd need a tooltip announcing that a picture of a red ball is a picture of a red ball.

And if I can take this opportunity to whine a bit, I hate what the current version of Firefox is doing with image file information. It used to be that you could right-click an image and select Image Properties, and you'd get a dialog containing the file name, its size, its dimensions, and its alt attribute. They've replaced that with "View Image Info" which, while it contains access to information about all of the images on a page instead of just one, presents "associated text" instead of specifically the alt attribute. That associated text is either the title or the alt -- they don't bother telling you which, so they're treating the two attributes as if they served the same purpose.

#8 ThingsAtHome

ThingsAtHome

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jul 11 2010, 08:52 AM) View Post
ATTRIBUTES!! not "tags"

My bad, I meant attributes, of course. My (web designer) husband constantly tells me off about that. smile.gif

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 11 2010, 04:49 PM) View Post
And if I can take this opportunity to whine a bit, I hate what the current version of Firefox is doing with image file information. It used to be that you could right-click an image and select Image Properties, and you'd get a dialog containing the file name, its size, its dimensions, and its alt attribute. They've replaced that with "View Image Info" which, while it contains access to information about all of the images on a page instead of just one, presents "associated text" instead of specifically the alt attribute. That associated text is either the title or the alt -- they don't bother telling you which, so they're treating the two attributes as if they served the same purpose.

Amen. To be honest, it'd take quite a while for me to list the reasons I hate Firefox these days. I swapped to Chrome as my main browser some time ago - even with it's teething problems - but I still feel like a traitor to Firefox for leaving! smile.gif

Thanks for the help everyone! xx

#9 SEOPeace

SEOPeace

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

Until those are in html/xhtml specifications why not use it. It will not hurt you definitely.

#10 KarenC

KarenC

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jul 11 2010, 02:52 AM) View Post

Amen! smile.gif

If the title attribute is used, it is redundant to have the same text in it as the link text, especially for those using screen readers that are configured to read the title attribute. The title attribute is suppose to provide supplementary information.

#11 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 11 2010, 11:49 AM) View Post
I only use the title attribute on the rare occasion that I want a tooltip. IE is the only browser that displays the alt attribute in a little popup (although I know some people use a Firefox extension that causes it to do the same thing), but all of the browsers I know of do that with the title attribute, and IE will display the title rather than the alt if it's present.

I also use it, after a fashion, on the (frequent) occasions when I don't want a tooltip to pop up. smile.gif

Such as when I've got a graphical menu item and I've used the same text as the graphic for the alt attribute (for accessibility purposes) and it would just look silly -- not to mention being potentially pretty darned annoying -- when somebody mouses over the menu button to have a tooltip pop up with the exact same text that a visual browser can already see. ohno.gif

So I put whatever text is necessary in the alt attribute for each graphic, then include a blank title attribute (title=""). It suppresses IE's display of the alt attribute as a tooltip and doesn't seem to have negative effects in any other browsers I've tried. Haven't tested it with the Firefox extension, but I hope it would work the same way -- and, frankly, why somebody would want to write and/or use an extension to make FF emulate wacky IE behavior ON PURPOSE is beyond me, but different strokes for different folks, one supposes. dntknw.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

So I put whatever text is necessary in the alt attribute for each graphic, then include a blank title attribute (title=""). It suppresses IE's display of the alt attribute as a tooltip and doesn't seem to have negative effects in any other browsers I've tried.

Nice tip!

appl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!