• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Best Pages To Link?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

When you get a backlink from a website. There are different data which gonna make it a more quality link compare to another. Let say you have a site on cars. Getting a backlink form a car site will be better than one on gambling. Of course if both sites are equivalent quality.

Now what would be (from your viewpoint) the different situations that would make a better content for a link. I was thinking of inner pages within a same website.

Let say your site is on car Massachusetts car dealer and I make a page on Boston and make a link to the index page "Boston car dealer". Now the page where the link is (Boston) would it be better to put Massachusetts, car and dealer optimize in the content of the page.

Is it better if I have the keywords of the link in the title of the page where the link come from?

What I am saying is how relevant (keyword wise) the page where it is linking from should be and is it better if title should include keywords.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

You're overthinking it. The location and position of the link don't matter so much as the value the linker places on the link.

If the link is important to the person giving you the link, you'll get the value you need.

#3 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Jun 21 2010, 06:03 PM) View Post
You're overthinking it. The location and position of the link don't matter so much as the value the linker places on the link.

If the link is important to the person giving you the link, you'll get the value you need.

So what you are saying is: I have a site on addiction and someone gives a link from a car sales website. It would have the same quality (juice) as if I get a link from a site in my field that would have let's say the same quality as the car website?

I have a hard time to think would that. I am the SEs figured out that a link from a similar area or at least a page in that field or subject would have nore value than a content that has nothing to do with the it links to.

#4 Webvisionz

Webvisionz

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

So what you are saying is: I have a site on addiction and someone gives a link from a car sales website. It would have the same quality (juice) as if I get a link from a site in my field that would have let's say the same quality as the car website?

Hi Marchy,

I completely agree with Michael, as the location & position doesn't come into picture when it comes to Link Building process. One thing you should keep in mind while link building is the niche of the website from which you are taking a baclink is relevant to your's.

Here is all your questions answer

When you get a backlink from a website. There are different data which gonna make it a more quality link compare to another. Let say you have a site on cars. Getting a backlink form a car site will be better than one on gambling. Of course if both sites are equivalent quality.

When you get a backlink from a website the only that matters is the presence of your url on his website & the page rank from which you are getting a back link, after indexing of which SE's have the data of a back link of yours & you get a share of some pagerank from that website. And yes getting a backlink from similar niche's as your is more relevant that getting it from others, BTW it doesnt harm your website's ranking anyhow.

Now what would be (from your viewpoint) the different situations that would make a better content for a link. I was thinking of inner pages within a same website.

You can create a webpage named "Link", "Resources" or "Related Info" etc. on the same website of your's & Add up your keyword in the hyperlink format so that only the website related to your genre can have a link exchange. All you have to do to make others find this page by selecting keywords as "link exchange", "reciprocal link", "link building" etc, you dont have to worry about the content of this page much.

Let say your site is on car Massachusetts car dealer and I make a page on Boston and make a link to the index page "Boston car dealer". Now the page where the link is (Boston) would it be better to put Massachusetts, car and dealer optimize in the content of the page..

Want more clarifications on this. I didnt got u?

Is it better if I have the keywords of the link in the title of the page where the link come from?

Obviously yes!

What I am saying is how relevant (keyword wise) the page where it is linking from should be and is it better if title should include keywords.

Keyword must be relevant to the web page from where it is getting a backlink. It helps the Google bots crawl the keywords more easily than others & normally by tradition we follow a rule from past that title must have keyword for more relevancy...

Best Regards

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

Keyword must be relevant to the web page from where it is getting a backlink.

While that sounds right and good in theory, in practice it's not actually true.

Links from what seem to be completely irrelevant sites seem to have just as much "oomph" as those from relevant sites. But yes, Google will tell you that relevant ones are better. And they are in terms of clickthroughs, but when it comes to link popularity and PageRank it doesn't seem to make a difference. Hard to measure tho.

#6 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 22 2010, 10:34 AM) View Post
While that sounds right and good in theory, in practice it's not actually true.

Links from what seem to be completely irrelevant sites seem to have just as much "oomph" as those from relevant sites. But yes, Google will tell you that relevant ones are better. And they are in terms of clickthroughs, but when it comes to link popularity and PageRank it doesn't seem to make a difference. Hard to measure tho.

This is interesting because a lot of people will operate with that data to just stay in there niche and to never derogate from it.

Interesting!

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

Well it is the smart way to go.

#8 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 22 2010, 12:00 PM) View Post
Well it is the smart way to go.

I think you are right about it. You never know when they will change their algorithm!!!

#9 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

Ive always thought that location,etc. of a link on a page does matter...the whole search engines follow people (webmasters' signals in this case) idea.

if a webmaster gives you a link on his homepage to your website, it indicates that he truly wants his visitors to see your website. If he gives you a link on a page of his website buried where nobody can see it, it shouldnt give a search engine a strong signal that he actually wants visitors to see your website badly.

Am I right about this or is this a false assumption?

How about top of the page/in content links vs. footer links - do the former pass more value than the latter?

Is this (a lot) different in google vs. bing for example?

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

Am I right about this or is this a false assumption?

Right and wrong.

A home page link counts more because that page typically by its very nature has more PageRank/LinkPop. A page buried deeply in the site will have less of that, and therefore will pass less of it on to you.

How about top of the page/in content links vs. footer links - do the former pass more value than the latter?

That one is debatable. Just because links appear in the footer to Google, doesn't mean they are in the code. For instance, on the main pages of our High Rankings site (outside of the forum) the top navigation menu, actually appears at the bottom of the page if you look in Google's text cache.

Should they be given less weight because Google might think they're just footer links?

#11 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

I think people are being way too formulistic with their linking. That is most likely why most of the links that typical SEOs obtain pass little to no value or don't pass value for long.

Everything Jill says is correct. But in my opinion what you want are credible links and it doesn't matter where they are placed or on what sites they are placed.

So I wasn't saying go out and get links from every site that you can. What I was saying was don't try to calculate what the best links will be. Don't try to figure out what the search engines will like better.

You're ultimately going to waste your time if you focus on the low end of the spectrum (the search engines' experience). You need to think about where those links will be compelling invitations for people to click through.

Get the people first; the search engines usually follow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!