• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Rich Domain Name Masking

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 KemoSabe

KemoSabe

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

This survey was conducted by 70+ "other" SEO Experts relative in part to (at least aportion of) the subject of this string. We may all findit interesting reading. wink1.gif

http://www.seomoz.or...ranking-factors

#17 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

I'd be a little concerned about a keyworded domain having pages that also used the same keywords. A URL like teddy-bears.com/teddy-bears/teddy-bears.html would definitely worry me.

#18 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

Oh please. Have you ever seen the way they word the questions on those surveys?

Much of it is ridiculous, imo, and goes with the strange theories that SEOmoz often has on things. Again, my opinion, but much of what I read over there simply makes no sense to me when it comes to real world SEO. Lots of theory, and nothing that really backs it up in practice.

#19 KemoSabe

KemoSabe

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 24 2010, 11:28 AM) View Post
I'd be a little concerned about a keyworded domain having pages that also used the same keywords. A URL like teddy-bears.com/teddy-bears/teddy-bears.html would definitely worry me.

Yes, agreed... Relevance to the same key would obviously appear stuffed. But...

teddy-bears.com/collectable-teddy-bears/miniture-teddy-bears.html would "bear" :-) a sense of valuable relativity.

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

That's pretty keyword stuffed to me. Why does teddy-bears need to be in each part of it? It's redundant, and seems kinda spammy.

#21 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 24 2010, 08:28 AM) View Post

I think I have seen reference to search engineers (from Google and either Yahoo! or Bing) saying on a panel somewhere that a URL like that would raise red flags. But I'm not sure of where to find the reference, given the hundreds or thousands of conference reports people have published through the years. The last time I went looking for something I thought would be easy to find, I spent hours sifting through stuff going back to 2003. I'm not sure I actually found what I was looking for.

Still, if someone came to me with a URL like that and asked my opinion, I would respond by saying I would not want that URL on one of my domains. Sometimes it happens, but if you're trying to come up with those kinds of URLs then I think that would be suspicious.

Natural long URLs rarely repeat important words.

#22 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:40 AM

Domain Name Masking - isn't that a form of stealth ?

I didnt' think buying loads of keyword rich domains and parking them over an exisiting site, was SEO nor worked.

Am I missing something here?

#23 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Parking doesn't accomplish anything, except that in buying the domains you're keeping other people from getting them. That, and if someone happens to actually type in those domains, they'll get your site.

But the original question wasn't about parking.

#24 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:57 AM

I appreciate that Querty,

The thread is about domain masking, which sounds even worse to me.

So what is it i'm missing here in what is being done and what it tries to accomplish?

#25 Tigereyes

Tigereyes

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:14 AM

This is my suggestion and this is what I do almost every time. most of time for me for a single product I come up with 10 primary keywords and I buy another single domain that can be memorized. Of course having keywords in the .com domains work almost perfectly every time for me since I really target for niche market rather than a broad ones.

Then I install wordpress blogs on those 10 keyword domains, optimize them accordingly to its slightly different domain names of 10. Finally I redirect those traffics, too obvious for customers to not click it. For example, a huge banner on the very top that has high relevancy that they must read, or killer promos on the blog posts that is hyperlinked to my main brand domain (memorable one), of course.

There are several other techniques that I use but it's really a bulk work to do all this if you are not familiar with what you are doing, and hence it's good to train someone to do all this for you, for every project, streamline a little bit better.

What I then do is build traffic around those 10 keyword domains by using PRs and article submissions..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!