• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Optimization Of Filenames In Url's For Google

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doughayman

doughayman

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

Like many of you on this board, the new Google architecture has resulted in many of my pages having been dropped from the Google index.

In SEO circles, it has been often stated that it is good to contain keywords that are being optimized for a page, in the URL (both domain name and filename). From this, I have several questions:

1) Is this a good idea ?

2) If I have pages that already exist, is it a good idea to
alter the filenames to contain optimized KW's ?

3) It has been stated that KW's in Filenames should be
separated by either dashes or underscores, as opposed to
being contiguous. Is this a good practice ?

4) Finally, if all of the above is true, I would consider changing
the names of existing filenames in my sitemap, that are
currently indexed in Google. What should the recourse for
doing this be ? Should I physically REMOVE the file from
Google first, and then add the newly named file ? Should I
just remove the existing file from my Sitemap, and add the
new file to my Sitemap ? What is the best recourse here to
eliminate a potential duplicate content penalty, and to
expedite the indexing of this new file ?

Thank you in advance.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

Like many of you on this board, the new Google architecture has resulted in many of my pages having been dropped from the Google index.

Not really sure what you're referring to. What new Google architecture? And why would your pages be removed from the index?

As far as I know that is not something happening to many on this board.

If you're pages have been dropped from the index, file name changes is not going to help and should be the least of your concerns. You need to figure out why your pages would no longer be indexed (it has nothing to do with how they're named, that I can assure you).

#3 doughayman

doughayman

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 19 2010, 11:01 AM) View Post
Not really sure what you're referring to. What new Google architecture? And why would your pages be removed from the index?

As far as I know that is not something happening to many on this board.

If you're pages have been dropped from the index, file name changes is not going to help and should be the least of your concerns. You need to figure out why your pages would no longer be indexed (it has nothing to do with how they're named, that I can assure you).

The new Google Caffeine architecture deployment has resulted in many "original" pages being dropped from Google's index. I guess this board is not in tune with this problem. It has been treated as a major issue on some of the other popular SEO boards.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

My understanding of Caffeine is that it's simply a new method that Google uses to index and show stuff faster (in real time). It's a new framework they're using.

It's not something that deindexes pages. I'm not sure where you've heard that. There is plenty of info from Google reps talking about Caffeine and they've never mentioned anything being deindexed. It's the opposite, in fact.

#5 doughayman

doughayman

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 19 2010, 12:06 PM) View Post
My understanding of Caffeine is that it's simply a new method that Google uses to index and show stuff faster (in real time). It's a new framework they're using.

It's not something that deindexes pages. I'm not sure where you've heard that. There is plenty of info from Google reps talking about Caffeine and they've never mentioned anything being deindexed. It's the opposite, in fact.

The intent of Caffeine is a more robust, quicker-to-index, and more scalable architecture. The unfortunate ramification of its rollout, was to deindex pages that have been around for years, but are no longer "deemed necessary" to be in the index. Suggest that you visit WebmasterWorld if you want to catch up on these issues. Many quality webmasters that have seen these ramifications surface.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,939 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

Ah well if WMW are flapping their arms about .........

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Are you sure you're not talking about the "Mayday" update?

That one did have ramifications for some webmasters in that they lost longtail keyword phrases for pages that were low quality. It still did not deindex pages, however. And it's completely different than Caffeine.

Me thinks you might be the one who needs to read up more on these things.

At any rate, neither of these Google changes precipitated the need for keyword rich URLs.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jun 19 2010, 11:36 AM) View Post
Ah well if WMW are flapping their arms about .........

It is the AMOUNT of arm flapping that one must observe over there from time to time. When it gets really serious, that's usually a sign that something has actually happened.

Sometimes the Google Webmaster forums are a better signal of things gone awry although the horrific advice often handed by the "bionic" posters makes me cringe.

Arm flapping has always been, and probably always will be, a sure sign of how much consternation the SEO community can fuss up over every imagined algorithmic change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!