• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Blog Comment Links Discarded By Google

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nicuz

nicuz

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hey guys,

I have acquired 30 links to 2 of my websites (15 each) by commenting on relevant blogs. 2 weeks after my incoming links campaign ended, I checked google webmaster tools and I found out that only 3 out of the 30 links are in there. Also according to siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com I have only 7 links pointing to my 2 websites. All the blogs I have posted my comments on have the dofollow plugin enabled (I even checked the page source to make sure.).

Is there any reasons why google (and yahoo for that matter) discredited 80% of my incoming links?

Thanks,
Nick

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

Yes, because as we've talked about in many other current discussions here, no tool will show you all your links.

Just get 'em and forget 'em.

Also, even those that do show up in the tools may not count towards your link popularity. Especially low quality links such as blog comments and forum sigs. Most of those are just spam to Google.

#3 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 15 2010, 10:08 PM) View Post
Yes, because as we've talked about in many other current discussions here, no tool will show you all your links.

Just get 'em and forget 'em.

Also, even those that do show up in the tools may not count towards your link popularity. Especially low quality links such as blog comments and forum sigs. Most of those are just spam to Google.

What's the deal with directories, btw?

Are links from directories considered..basically spam / not counting, too?

Or do links from directories with carefully selected links count somewhat? (think a local vegan directory with different categories and only a few links per category). Am in a situation like this right now...wondering if its completely worthless to go after them or simply not extraordinarily good ;-)

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,872 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:44 AM

Are links from directories considered..basically spam / not counting, too?
Who knows??
Some may be incredibly "valuable" most will not be

Or do links from directories with carefully selected links count somewhat? (think a local vegan directory with different categories and only a few links per category). Am in a situation like this right now...wondering if its completely worthless to go after them or simply not extraordinarily good ;-)

Again who knows? BUT in terms of traffic (which is the only thing to consider) it may well be used as a point of reference for people in your marketplace.

For "link value" It's not WHAT the page is, neither is it WHERE the page is. It is do other pages LINK to the page to give it any "value" to pass on.

#5 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jul 18 2010, 10:44 AM) View Post
Who knows??
Some may be incredibly "valuable" most will not be
Again who knows? BUT in terms of traffic (which is the only thing to consider) it may well be used as a point of reference for people in your marketplace.

For "link value" It's not WHAT the page is, neither is it WHERE the page is. It is do other pages LINK to the page to give it any "value" to pass on.

So if a directory has countless other websites linking to it....a link from that directory will pass on link juice the same way as if it was any other non-directory site?

I assume we agree that the number of links on the page counts,too(?)

But other than that are there no "directories just cant pass on much link juice" rules in the SE's algo?:-)...as those are simply much easier to get than most other links (except for blog comments and forum links for which the same thing probably applies)?

Do you really think the notion that directories dont pass on nearly as much link juice as other websites is flawed/garbage? Just asking, as it'd make me happy, but somehow I doubt it (though I could believe that it depends on how many links the directory contains, and that carefully selected directory links might help)..?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

Do you really think the notion that directories dont pass on nearly as much link juice as other websites is flawed/garbage?

Yes, it's flawed. Every page is judged on it's own merits based on it's own history, link profile, authority, trustworthiness, etc.

I'm sure there are many directories or pages within them that no longer pass any link juice. But there are just as likely to be many that do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!