• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Local Places Tracking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Purple3

Purple3

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:16 AM

How can I track visitors from Google's Local Places using GA

Regards

Paul

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:02 AM

I haven't checked, but I would imagine they'd be in the referrers?

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

You can get some very basic information in the Places dashboard: impressions, clickthroughs, top queries and apparently where driving direction requests came from, which I'm guessing means the starting location someone entered when requesting directions (no one's ever asked for my company, since there's not much point in driving here).

If you're interested in knowing whether someone came to your site from a local search, I think it depends on how much local information they looked at. I can run a geo-targeted search at google.com, get a SERP that includes local results (the "7 pack"), and either click through directly to a site that came up in the results or go to more information about that company on its Google Places page. If I do the former, I don't think the owner of that site is going to know anything more than the fact that I clicked through from a Google SERP for a given query. That is, they won't know if I clicked an organic result or a local result from the SERP.

#4 Purple3

Purple3

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 15 2010, 01:02 PM) View Post
I haven't checked, but I would imagine they'd be in the referrers?

Hi Jill - the referrers just says google organic - I know the hits came from Google Places because when the domain was brand new 4 months ago new and not in the top 20 for " Bed & Breakfast in Aldeburgh " the site was getting 300 + visitors per week so it had to be from the the local places slot which is shown every time for this search phrase . Now the site is position 6 for the phrase trying to find out the breakdown between organic & google places . I can access the clicks stats from Google places though looking for an easier and less time consuming solution - maybe im asking for too much crossfingers.gif

Regards
Paul

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

No, organic google is different.

Go to Traffic Sources > Referring Sites > then type maps into the filter source.

If you've gotten any referrals from google maps you'll see maps.google.com as a referrer.

Hope this helps!

#6 Purple3

Purple3

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

Thanks Jill - this has answered the question

Regards

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic