• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

404 Not Found Pages And Ranking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:38 AM

We have around 1,000 products and around 100 of them discontinued. if i remove those products search engine will go to 404 page not found. Will this effect our google rankings in any way.

Thanks

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

It might, did the pages when these products showed have internal links on them? Is there a way you can 301 redirect these products until you can confirm the SE has reindexed your page and correctly dropped the unwanted pages from the index?

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE(ali0303 @ Jun 8 2010, 05:38 AM) View Post
We have around 1,000 products and around 100 of them discontinued. if i remove those products search engine will go to 404 page not found. Will this effect our google rankings in any way.

Yes, if those pages used to show up in the search results when people were seeking the products contained on them, they will no longer show up.

#4 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

lol.gif - Jill you have a wonderful nack for stating the obvious.

If those pages were returned in the index and they no longer exist, then searches which found those pages will no longer return those pages in the SERPs.

Do you work hard at being a genius Jill or is it a gift?

#5 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

When I remove these 100 odd products there will be no broken links as they will be disabled and no links will show up in the site pointing these products. The only thing if they come through search engine they will see 404 pages. that's it.

When I asked, will it effect my ranking I meant my general ranking Jill smile.gif. I read somewhere that if you delete a lot of pages from your site google doesn't like it.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

When I asked, will it effect my ranking I meant my general ranking Jill

There's no such thing as a "general ranking."

You rank for specific keyword phrases, or you don't. You won't rank for those particular ones anymore, as I previously stated.

The only thing if they come through search engine they will see 404 pages. that's it.

That's poor practice and not a smart thing to do. You should 301-redirect those pages to something else on your site that's the most appropriate for them.

#7 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

I've just undertaken a rewrite and redesign and part of this was dropping some old products and adding new ones.

I made the new site 301 where we had a new product that matched the old product and when there's no match it returns a 301 through to the closest matching category.

It's the most graceful solution I could find that didn't result in loads of 404s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!